Browser keeps crashing - Windows 11

Description of the issue:
My browser randomly crashes and says “Brave Not Responding”

How can this issue be reproduced?
Not sure what causes it, I have a fairly powerful computer but I do run 3 separate browser windows at a time. This is something I’ve done on two different computers for the better part of 3 years using Brave and never had any issues.

I haven’t installed any new extensions or anything so I don’t know what the deal is.

Expected result:
That it wouldn’t crash

Brave Version( check About Brave):
v1.50.114

Additional Information:
I sent a few crash logs, here are the IDs:
bc203cdf-a4a1-4d44-be9f-abdb3aa5be90
4ebbed89-9a31-484d-be50-7bc8fa245303

Hi @WebinkSolutions

Thanks for the information, I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Have a great day!

Just checking in on this issue, I just had it crash again…

1410d4b7-2cac-4317-93e5-8e5db77384c6

Still no reply, is there any answer on why this is happening? I’d like to get it resolved!

@Alice2095 is this still be looked at? Can I get a reply?

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

I submitted a request for why my browser keeps crashing a while back but I have heard anything back. Can someone please answer that request…

@WebinkSolutions Sorry about that. I’ll tag in @SaltyBanana and @Mattches to see if they might be able to follow up. There have been some updates to Brave since you originally posted. So let me ask:

• Have you updated to the most recent version of Brave? (if so, verify which version please)

• Is Brave still crashing for you?

• If still crashing, can you give a more recent crash report ID?

In addition to that, I’m going to ask for some more details:

• When does Brave crash? For example, is it when you first open the browser? When navigating to a site? Opening tabs? Anything you can think of would be helpful. If nothing and it’s random, just make sure to say that. (I know you said not sure what causes it, but guess trying to get you to think)

• How often do these crashes happen?

• If you create a new browser profile, does it last any better?

• Could you install Brave Nightly and see if the issue happens there as well?

@SaltyBanana @Mattches

• Have you updated to the most recent version of Brave? 1.51.118 Chromium: 113.0.5672.126 (Official Build) (64-bit)

• Is Brave still crashing for you? Yes, it crashed today however it didn’t generate a crash report

• If still crashing, can you give a more recent crash report ID?
    e4f992ac-4c05-4695-a8ac-5b02b4d7e2a8
    b6c84503-0751-495d-a074-ceb629649bc5

• When does Brave crash? For example, is it when you first open the browser? When navigating to a site? Opening tabs? Anything you can think of would be helpful. If nothing and it’s random, just make sure to say that. (I know you said not sure what causes it, but guess trying to get you to think)
    So I think it might have to do with the app “MainWP” which is an app I use to upgrade plugins on the Wordpress websites I manage. I don’t recall for sure, but I suspect it might be related to that app.

• How often do these crashes happen? Once a day or so

• If you create a new browser profile, does it last any better?
    As mentioned above I have 3 profiles and I run all 3 at the same time (Work #1, Work #2, Personal). I’ve been doing this for about 3 years and no issues on Brave until recently.

• Could you install Brave Nightly and see if the issue happens there as well?
    Not sure I want to jump on a nightly build unless I absolutely need to

1 Like

Guess big thing on that was to try to get it going with no extensions and overall default settings. If no issues happened with it, then at least helps us narrow things down a bit.

Good to know. Obviously my suggestion would be to try to test by not using it for a bit, if you’d be able. If no issues, then would kind of help affirm that’s the issue. At that point would want to contact both Brave and the developers of MainWP so developers from either side can try to work on compatibility (though I think main priority would be on MainWP).

Just is one of those steps to determine if it’s a version specific issue within the browser that might get fixed or anything of the sort. Just a way to help narrow things down a bit. It’s up to you, not completely necessary.

Anyway, I know it’s late enough that Support it pretty much out for the weekend. They usually return around 9am Pacific and play “catch up” on topics and tickets. Since we’ve tagged them, hopefully you’ll be one of them they check on. Of course, at that time it will primarily be them trying to submit your crash reports to be looked at, which can be instant or be a few days before they respond. At least giving you that heads up so you kind of have a guideline on timeframe overall.

1 Like

@WebinkSolutions,
First, can you please go to brave://crashes and click Send now so that we can review the crashes on our end?

Second, yes as @Saoiray is digging at here, in order to narrow down the actual cause of the issue, we’ll need you to try the following:

• Launch Brave and use it normally except — I’d like you to only have one profile open at a time. If you find that the browser is not crashing at all (after you would expect to see a crash), then try moving to another profile and test again.
  • If you do experience a crash in a profile, send the crash report, then try disabling the extensions in that profile and see if the browser still crashes after doing so.

Lastly I would note that there is no downside to downloading/installing either the Nightly/Beta versions of the browser for testing. They will install as a separate browser and not overwrite anything already installed and they can be uninstalled without any affect on you after you’re done testing.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.