Browser is flickering on startup, and totally unusable

Description of the issue:
Brave flickers between white and black on startup. For brief split seconds, I can see my bookmarks, etc before it flashes back to white. I can click on a bookmark folder and view its contents, but I can’t do anything beyond that. This has happened before, but it would flicker for maybe 10-20 seconds and then go back to normal behavior. Starting today it just continues to flicker and the browser is 100% unusable. I’m glad I don’t have epilepsy.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open Brave Browser

Expected result:
Normal splash screen on opening with common sites and bookmarks, and URL pane to navigate to a website.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
I don’t know, as I can’t even navigate to any webpages, options, settings, or “about” section. All I get is white flickering.
Windows 10.
I DID try reinstalling Brave, which would hopefully get me the most recent rev, but this issue did not go away.

Additional Information:

The first thing I usually check is to see if hardware acceleration is an issue.

You might be able to modify the launcher to turn it off. Check this post and try turning acceleration off?

1 Like

DING DING DING we have a winner. But really, thanks a ton, I was going crazy having to use a different browser. Quick note - I had to unpin my Brave shortcut from my taskbar and re-add it from the desktop shortcut.

1 Like

Awesome!

About half of my problems on Chromium-based browsers has related to hardware acceleration. It’s always the first thing I check.

Glad I could help!