Browser freezes when opening/saving files

Every time the browser execute a fila operation (open or save) this freeze just after the operation.

1. Open the browser
  2. download and save a file.

Just freeze!

Expect do not freeze.

My ubuntu system has update since 20.10 ever new release is launched.

I have 5 laptops in the same situation.

When the browser freeze I use xkill to close and reopen the browser.

Hello there @danielfernandes.br Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

Additionally, try clearing cookies to see if this solves the issue:

1. Click on the Menu icon in the top right, and go to Settings
  2. Go to Additional settings → Privacy and Security → Clear browsing data
  • A quicker way to get to this page would be to enter brave://settings/clearBrowserData into your address bar
  • See Advanced for a breakdown of the data you can clear
  1. Deselect Browsing history and Cached files (if you only want to clear cookies)
  2. Click Clear data

Let me know if that works.

Hey @Kevin_cc,

Thanks for your help!

I face the same problem on my ubuntu 22.04 notebook and tried your recommendations, but they are not working at all. Do you have any other suggestions?.

Regards Daniel

1 Like

Hi again, could you please try opening/saving some files while using Private mode to see if the browser does not freeze?

If it occurs, does this happen when downloading (or opening) any files from any site, or is it specific sites/files? For example, are you able to save an image from an image search via right-click --> Save image as… .?

You can also try creating a new profile and see if you are able to save files from the new profile without freezing.

Let me know if that works.

Hi again, could you please try opening/saving some files while using Private mode to see if the browser does not freeze?

→ Does not work. It also freezes.

If it occurs, does this happen when downloading (or opening) any files from any site, or is it specific sites/files? For example, are you able to save an image from an image search via right-click --> Save image as… .?

→ Does not work. It also freezes.

You can also try creating a new profile and see if you are able to save files from the new profile without freezing.

→ Does not work. It also freezes. I use it in 4 different profiles.

I think it is really connected with the opening (closing) procedure of the file window. It feels like brave is not recognizing that the file manager was closed and act like it is still open.

Hi @Kevin_cc ,

I tried to disable hardware acceleration but the browser remains freezing ever after opening/saving any file in any site.

Thanks for your help.

Hello again @Kevin_cc .

When a try to open/save files in a private window, the private window freeze but the normal windows who that I open the private windows does not freeze.

So, we have 2 windows, the normal window remains active and functional but the private window where I try to save files, goes freeze.

The same happens if I use the right click.

Thanks in advanced.

1 Like

Hi @danielfernandes.br and @Reocin thanks for the information. Please try the following to see if this solves the issue Open brave://flags > search for Vulkan > Disable it.

If its disabled, enable it to see if no longer freezes.

Regards.

It’s still freezes with vulkan disabeld

I started brave via terminal and did a file download, the following was plotted. But there was noting added when it froze. Probably it helps anyway.

Is there a debug mode for brave with more logs?

1 Like

Hi @Kevin_cc ,

When I disable the flag Vulkan, browser still freeze but the mouse cursor stay in a hand format over all browser area.

When I enable the flag Vulkan, browser freeze and the mouse cursor now stay in default pointer (arrow).

Another test that I try. In Google Drive, when I drag and drop a file from a nautilus windows directly to drive, the file was uploaded and the browser does not freeze.

Its only frozen when the “open file/save” file appears and the file is chosen from this interface.

Hi again,

Today I formated one of the laptops whit this problem. I perform a fresh install of Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS and install tha Brave browser from snap.

sudo snap install brave

In these laptop the open/save files is normal. The browser does not freeze when i save files from the same sites then before.

The problem is now in other 4 laptops. Maybe a package incompatibility.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi again @Reocin could you please try performing a fresh install of Ubuntu as @danielfernandes.br did to see if not longer crashes?

Also , please go to brave://crashes and send us your crash report. Once you’ve sent us the report, please provide the crash ID on this post so our team can have look.

Regards.

Hi @danielfernandes.br it could be related to some conflicts with a package incompatibility, could you please try a fresh install on another laptop to see if the error no longer repeats?

And on the laptops where still crashes, also please go to brave://crashes and send us your crash report. Once you’ve sent us the report, please provide the crash ID on this post so our team can have look.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi again

Only these fails are saved in brave://crashes

Regards

Hey @Kevin_cc

A complete reinstallation of ubuntu is a little too much to ask. Especially as i just installed it 2 weeks ago. But …

I removed the native brave and installed the snap version. There, the file download with file system is working. But theme of the theme of system gui (file manager) of the brave version is really bad, i changed again to the native version. After the reinstallation of the native version, the problem still exist.

I think the snap version doesn’t run on a ubuntu 22.04 in the snap container. Therefore, we could assume that there is a problem of brave to work with the ubuntu 22.04.

regards

2 Likes

Hi again, I’m gonna tag @steeven and @Mattches so they can be aware of the issue you and @danielfernandes.br are experiencing, in order to make further investigation.

Thanks for your patience. Regards.

@danielfernandes.br,
I would recommend not using the snap version, as it typically is not up to date with the latest updates. I’m interested to know if disabling hardware acceleration made any difference, as suggested above?

Regarding the crash reports — you’re saying that if you reproduce the issue (attempt to download something) and the browser freezes, this is not reported in brave://crashes?

Hi there,
I got the same issue.

With snap windows didn´t freeze, but impossible to have hardware acceleration…

With apt package I have hardware acceleration but freeze on all file popup (save, save as, select upload file…)

But it’s only one windows of brave which became impossible to interact, tabs are active (like google meet continue to be active, youtube continue to playing video,…)

If I open another windows no problem on the new windows.

Just the first one block all user interactions.

Hope that’s help you to identify.

Cya.

1 Like

Hi there @Saku have you tried using guest or private mode to see if the windows no longer crashes when trying to save/download a file?

If it does not crash, try disabling your extensions to see if this is the cause of the issue.

1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click Menu → More tools → Extensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Let me know if that works,
Regards.