Brave v 1.51.110 lost passwords after 5-3-23 update on linux ubuntu studio 22.04

After brave update I get message "could not access systems safe storage. I follow prompts after I try to open sync and this is where I am led.

For Linux users encountering this

As with macOS, Linux uses should see a similar prompt:

this is the “Authentication required” prompt which never showed up and I do not have a “Passwords and Keys” app. Appreciate your help. Cheers.

1 Like

Same issue here on my desktop running openSUSE Tumbleweed with KDE. I can manually open the wallet and Brave still doesn’t see it. I just noticed It is also broken on my laptop.

Both were working fine until the update.

1 Like

Brave could not access your operating system’s safe storage. This is what’s used to secure data such as passwords and cookies; it’s also required for Brave Sync to connect your browser profile between devices. This means Brave Sync is not running. To resolve this issue, please see the Brave Sync troubleshooting guide.

No success so far. I don’t think it is trying to open the KDE wallet. When I check the wallet, everything looks fine.

1 Like

By the way Chip57, I believe yours is looking for the Gnome Keyring.

Same problem here (Ubuntu Studio 22.04). This urgently needs fixing. I have to log in to every site (including the 2FA shebang) I use whenever I restart the browser / computer.

1 Like

I;m using KDE. When I try to sync I get “could not sync Brave your devices” "could not access your operating system’s safe storage. I need a way to give Brave that access.

So far Chip57, it looks like rolling back to brave-browser-1.50.125-1 would fix it, but I do not know how to do that yet.

Hang in there for a bit.

If they could set that version back in the repositories, that would allow us to just fix it all with a simple update.

WilsonPhillips, I appreciate the help! I would actually need help with how to roll back to earlier browser using Apt.

Since I don’t know how to do it, I am just going to try to wait it out and look for the next update.

I did try to download the previous version from the git repo, but it failed the integrity check, so I gave up.

I’m going to have to do the same. This is most unfortunate. Fool that I am, many site passwords and usernames languish. Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

@WilsonPhillips @Catherder @chip57 please refer to NOTICE: Unexplained Data Loss Issue

Tusk might be an alternative.

Gnome-keyring latest version was already there…just fyi.

We need to take any future questions about this to the following thread.

2 Likes

@WilsonPhillips is correct — however, as it seems that at least some of the issues in this thread are Linux + Sync related it looks like there is a separate issue related to these specific conditions that we’re looking into presently:

I have Brave on my phone also. Can I delete the laptop Brave, then reinstall it to get back the lost sync functionality on the laptop?

@chip57,
Is all of the relevant information Synced to your phone? If so, you should be able to uninstall on your laptop then reinstall and Sync your laptop to your phone. Again, note that it will Sync what data is on your phone — I would check to ensure that everything you want to keep is there.

Mattches,

Appreciate the response…and not with it’s linux’s fault. I am painfully aware of the shortcomings as I am an amateur with linux 20 years+ and struggle with it almost daily. I am mostly calloused to highbrow support people who need to feel important. You came straight out with an answer and that is rare. You are one of the good guys who can truly help not only clumsy fools like me, but maybe your peers as well. Thank you for having the extra bit of empathy. You are helpful!
No I don’t have all the info on my phone but enough to make a go of it. The rest I can click on “Forgot your password?” and I’ll be fine.

Cheers,
chip57

1 Like

P.S. I can open laptop’s Brave passwords and take pictures…

In that case yes, you should be fine leaving the Sync chain (on desktop), uninstalling the browser, then reinstalling and Syncing your newly installed browser with your phone.

2 Likes