Brave’s privacy, Uphold wallet KYC

Why Brave is privacy oriented, but Uphold wallet needs IDs. Why creators just can’t receive bats to any address in any wallet?

Regards

3 Likes

@Iass,
This question is covered on our Help Center:

1 Like

Does not cover the question
I don’t want to exchange it, just want to be possible to put my BATs on another wallet, like Trust let’s say. Why I have to withdraw it first to Uphold?
Why don’t You just make it simple? Just put my BAT address in the settings for Rewards and receive it directly?

2 Likes

@Iass,
Taken from /r/BATproject FAQ:

(14) Can I withdraw my BAT earnings without Uphold, or not use a custodial solution such as Uphold at all for Brave Rewards?

At present (last updated Nov. 10, 2019), Brave Rewards only offers a custodial solution with Uphold, although this will be changing (see below). Before verifying your Brave Rewards wallet, your BAT is held anonymously by Uphold on your behalf in Brave Rewards. Verifying your Brave Rewards wallet involves registering for an Uphold exchange account and then linking your Uphold account to Brave Rewards in order to fully claim the BAT held in the Brave Rewards wallet.

1. We are working to provide other custodial (exchange account) options for Brave Rewards as well, such as Coinbase.
  2. We are working on bridging the native Crypto Wallets feature (based on Metamask) with Brave Rewards so that you may fully control the keys to your Brave Rewards wallet. Please see the following excerpt from our Crypto Wallets announcement post.

The next step is a bigger piece of work, and one we’ve been working towards for a while. We want to integrate the client-side Crypto Wallets feature with Brave Rewards, letting you fully control the keys to your Brave Rewards wallet, as an alternative to Uphold’s custodial wallet. Of course, we’ll still need to meet US and international regulatory requirements when you earn BAT through Brave Rewards. That’ll probably mean some sort of identity verification process. But we’re committed to ensuring that Brave (the company) knows the absolute minimum about you, whether you’re using a hosted Uphold wallet or a private client-side wallet. Designing that system to ensure that we follow the law while ensuring that you remain anonymous is a big deal for us, and one of the most substantial components of this work ahead.

Additionally, see our blog post “Civic to Offer Secure Identity Verification Services on the Brave Publisher Platform” for more on our plans to allow users to connect a plain Ethereum address to Brave Rewards. (Also, see our Help Center article regarding ID-verification/KYC requirements.)

I think it is the only way to have more flexible options to withdraw tokens. Keep the work going. Will be happy to see it sooner :slight_smile:

1 Like