Brave keeps freezing after coming back from another app

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Keep the browser open in the background while using another app in the foreground.
  2. Wait for a bit and do stuff in another window. I’m not sure what the exact trigger is, it doesn’t happen 100% of the time but often enough that it’s more than a handful per session…
  3. Come back to the browser, for instance from a fullscreen game or from Discord.

Expected result:
The browser should work normally, but instead the tab that was displayed currently either becomes blank and unresponsive, or sometimes for instance on Youtube, the page is still visible but the player appears black and the page doesn’t respond. When either happens, switching tab “refreshes” the content and the tab becomes responsive again.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information: I browsed through earlier submissions for browser freezes on this forum and I’ve disabled hardware acceleration many hours ago as someone from the staff instructed in an older thread, but since, I noticed the problem is still happening.

1 Like

up 12345678910111213

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for bumping this.
First, can you confirm for me that you’re using and still seeing this behavior on the latest Brave release – v 1.23.73 at the time of writing this?

Yes I still do see this behavior. Sometimes the screen is black, sometimes white. Most often it happens when Youtube or Twitch is playing, but it can happen with any kind of content loaded, even a blog post or a search engine or anything really. The active tab is unresponsive until I switch tab and come back. Music is still playing and the module is still loaded when applicable, it’s just a display issue. I have tried both with hardware acceleration turned on and off, the issue is the same.

Can you try creating a temporary browser profile and try and reproduce the issue using the new profile? Ensure that you close your original browser window so that only one Brave window w/the new profile is running when you perform the test.

Hi I just confirmed with a new profile and no extensions that the problem still happens. I was watching a video on Youtube in the active tab, with the front page of youtube in another tab and this forum thread in a third tab, while playing Rocket League in the foreground.

And you tried this with Hardware Acceleration off? I know that you said it doesn’t make a discernible difference but this smells very much like an HWA issue so it’s certainly worth testing.

Still happening with new profile and hardware acceleration off, even in pages that don’t have a media player. I just had it happen on this page so it’s definitely not dependent on page content.

1 Like

I tried reproducing this but I can’t seem to be able to. I’m also wondering if it’s related to a similar thread I responded to earlier. Let me see if I can get some additional eyes on this.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

So in the image you linked, the page itself doesn’t appear to be unresponsive or blank, just the video player itself – is that the case or are you unable to interact with the site (in this case Youtube) at all?

Also just to be sure, can you confirm for me that you’re using the latest browser build (v1.29.81 at the time of writing this)?

When it happens I can’t interact with anything within the page display and even the URL and bookmarks act buggy like they respond but not visually. The only thing that fixes it and forces a refresh is switching to another tab (or creating a new one if there isnt works too) and then switching back. All along the tab is still loaded and the sound still playing but the visuals are frozen and the video black. I’m up to date now yes with the 64bit version.

BUT it doesn’t only happen on media containers like the Youtube player. For instance it happens on this very forum too. The only difference is nothing visually disappears, but it’s still frozen the same until switching tabs sometimes. It seems to be related to memory management perhaps or graphic drivers as I’m on an a laptop with drivers that handle cpu vs gpu allocation and so whether I use hardware acceleration or not it’s gonna be sorted by the same driver first. It seems to be a site per site basis but that just might be confirmation bias on my end.

Right – thank you for the clarification.

:point_up: This is why I thought HWA might be part of the issue here. I’m going to ask the team about what else might cause this. In the meantime, would you be willing to test this behavior on our Beta browser and see if you get the same behavior? Note that you can download, install and run the Beta without interfering with your current Brave installation (they’ll run as two separate browsers).

If it does, then it would point to an issue in the browser itself but if not, it’s more likely something within your profile (a setting, cache, extension, etc).

I can confirm it happens on the beta browser with default settings with no addon or even login in anywhere with it.

1 Like

I can confirm this happens on

Distributor ID: Linuxmint
Description: Linux Mint 20
Release: 20
Codename: ulyana

Brave version: Version 1.31.87 Chromium: 95.0.4638.54 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

A trick I’ve discovered is when it happens if I open a new brave instance without closing the old one, they both become active and operable again,

It’s been 8 months, many updates, and still no fix. I’m growing tired of Brave when all it has to offer is 10 bucks of BAT a year and buggy cookies blocking that break half the foreign sites. If at least it provided a bug free experience it would be worth it, but more and more I think I’d be better off going back to Chrome or even Firefox.