Brave is very laggy

Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and Brave all are made from what is called Chromium. This means there are many similarities, but then each company modifies the code for their own purposes. A lot of the extensions people use were made specifically for Chrome. Though this is a poor analogy, I guess it’s a way to depict it.

When an extension is made for Chrome, it is given a specific set of keys so it can do its job. It understand what should be displayed and what types of modifications can be done. When you then install that extension on Brave, it tries to use those same keys and paths that it is familiar with. The problem is Brave has extra doors and the passages are different, as they are more privacy focused. So when you add your extension to Brave, it might do okay but it might also fight with Brave as it wants access to places that Brave has secured. The browser might open the doors or have limited access, but it’s like a security officer at the door. As you can imagine, this would slow things down or prevent the extension from doing its job.

Again, what I gave is a VERY BAD analogy, but is at least a sincere attempt to show something as I’m very tired. I mean, other ways to think is what happens if you put something that was designed for iPhone on Android? It doesn’t work, right? That’s because the languages from each are different and not compatible, so they have to be modified to work on each. It’s similar to extensions. While they try to keep things standardized enough for many extensions, there’s a lot of ways it can go wrong depending on which one you install and from where.

Edit
Apologize, as I saw I don't get your point when you said you do get my point. So I kind of rambled on things I maybe didn’t have to, but maybe it helps others if nothing special for you.

And yeah, Brave is always evolving and working to make things better. Just keep in mind when having things like Extensions, it also is going to take the people designing the extension to make sure it will be compatible with Brave as well.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation… you know I am not a technical guy zero knowledge about backend stuff but your explanation have given me a better understanding of how it works… I again thank you for taking out your valuable time and explaining me … Cheers!

2 Likes

I hade same issue, brave was super laggy. it was working for months but suddenly changed to super slow/laggy few days ago
My solution / fix:
Nvidia Control Panel ->3D settings → Manage 3D settings → Global settings → Max Frame rate was 1 fps, i changes that to “off”. After that Brave is fast as it used to be.

I have no idea what would changed that to 1fps

2 Likes

I’ve seen no noticeable lag in Florida. Apple M1/16G ProtonVPN. Metamask & Smartpage Search extensions only. I regularly clean my machine MacClean360.

When I go to some sites I actually get an error temporarily till the connection is completed. Just been the last few weeks that this has started.

any idea for AMD? I have a AMD system

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.