Brave guessed my region wrong: unable to change it and lost tokens

Briefly describe your issue:
My android phone is in Japanese, while I am personally based elsewhere. When verifying my wallet with a partner, I am only able to choose BitFlyer, and in creating an account, I get an error message from BitFlyer - We do not accept registrations from persons not residing in Japan.

I am not on a vpn; my location is where I normally reside.

I do not see an option to change this region.

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?
Android 9, Brave 1.43.90

Is your browser wallet currently verified? (yes/no)
No

What date did you verify your wallet?
Unable to verify wallet

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
No

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
No

Are you eligible for Brave Rewards (see here for list of supported regions)?
Yes

Are you on the list of supported regions when verifying Brave Rewards with a custodial partner (see here for list of supported regions)?
Yes, but the region is wrong.

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?
Yes

Have you manually turned off Auto-contribute on all of your devices linked to a custodial partner?
Yes

Things I have tried

• Changing my phone language to English.
  • Closing and re-opening Brave.
  • Reinstalling Brave while my phone language is still in English - in the process, losing all of my BAT rewards. Luckily, it wasn’t a lot.

The last option worked, but I lost my tokens in the process. Please have a better way to do this.

Brave can only see what your device is providing. If your device is set with region Japan and language Japanese, then there’s not so much that can be done.
This is by design.

BitFlyer, however, is be able to track your IP and knows you are not in japan. BitFlyer is under Japanese regulations, thus, does not let you have an account if you are not in Japan.

Brave could also use your IP, but then it would be easier to use a VPN for fraudulent location.

Unfortunately, I believe your only options are:

• Change your device language
  • Access BitFlyer via VPN and register with a valid address in Japan. You will certainly have to prove it.

I only picked my language to be Japanese, I didn’t set my region, though my phone could have set it to Japan as well in the background.

Noted that it is by design - though I suggest that Brave do an IP check to make sure, or some other form of check. Kind of odd to make that kind of assumption in the design - in my phone, I could only set my language in English to about 5 different countries, but clearly many more countries have English than the available options in my phone settings.

2022年9月14日(水) 19:46 Rodrige via Brave Community <[email protected]>:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.