Brave Freezes [Debian] since 1.37.111

Brave freeze randomly after 1-3 hours. Only a pkill will help to start browser again 'til next freeze.

Brave Version:

Additional Information:
I found out that by disable “Hardware Acceleration” can help. But most websites are unusable and CPU usage is mostly 100%.
Checked GPU driver and RAM/System → All fine!

CPU/APU: AMD Ryzen 3400G (fully installed)
RAM: 16GB (no errors)

Someone an idea? :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance! <3

How did you install Brave?

What Linux distro?

Can you try .114 (released today) and see if you still have issues?

Hi. Debian 11 “bullseye”.

I installed .114. Let’s see. 'Til 3 hours no crash at work.

EDIT: No, problem still exist. :frowning:

Haha, and of course now, .116 was just released. :stuck_out_tongue:

How are you installing Brave exactly?

Yes I saw and installed yesterday.
Since today I’m testing the .116 :smiley:

OK, great.

And can you please respond to the question about how it was installed?

No, still existing…
When I’m surfing at https://console.cloud.google.com the browser freeze after some minutes everytime.
Seems js problem?

It’s installed regular over deb repository package for debian.

OK, so you are using these instructions? https://brave.com/linux/#debian-9-ubuntu-1604-and-mint-18

Are all of your other packages (including kernel, glibc, etc.) up to date?

Do you have any extensions installed/enabled? If so, does it still happen with them all disabled?

Is anything set in brave://flags ? (Anything with a non-default setting will be sorted to the top, and will have a blue dot next to it.)

Do you have any extra lists enabled in brave://adblock ?

Is your system clock correct? https://time.is/

Lastly, if all of the above checks out, does the issue occur if you create a new profile and try using that profile? (Make sure your original profile does not have any open windows; only the new profile should be open.)

Hi,

okay my last feedback for now:

– All packages always up to date (checked)
– Extensions enabled → Yes. Disable and delete it - issue still exist
– brave://flags enabled:
Put major version in minor version position in User-Agent
[But problem was before I changed it, so I thought it was an Addon problem due v100/Year 2000 lol]
– brave://adblock (3 enabled):
EasyList Germany
Schacks Adblock Plus liste
uBlock Annoyances List
(I deactivated now everything to be sure for future freezes)
– System clock difference +0,009 Sec (±0,035 Sec)
– The new profile I will try, but can I restore everything including passwords? I don’t want lose everything. :smiley:

I started a terminal session (on X11) to see what’s going on. Only some internal errors (by opening tab missing background_xxx). And one VSYNC error (tried 1/256). But didn’t freeze while this errors appears. After freeze of brave I didn’t see any errors or “panic” messages.

Checked also my driver etc. But this problem exist only in latest Brave.
Chromium, Google Chrome, FireFox/ESR, Edge (wine) and Opera working fine.
Very strange.

I hope it’s the profile, but first I want be sure that I can transfer all my data to the new one. (Or it copy the issue in new profile too idk…)

Thanks for all those responses.

Missed one. :slight_smile:

I saw your note:

But wasn’t sure if you meant you installed from the Debian repo, or if you used the Brave instructions to replace a Debian repo package.

In any case, regarding the profile creation – that will create a fresh profile, but you will not lose your old one and you can switch back to it anytime you want.

Yes, this repo:

https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com/ stable main

Ok, I try now with new profile. :slight_smile:

I am running Brave 1.37.116 on KDE Neon with no freezing here.

KDE Neon is based on Ubuntu (LTS) with other packages. Difficult to compare I think. Seems Debian 11 related - I asked the deb-community, but nobody know why.

So I think maybe it’s a profile issue. I’m heavy user. But never got problems with it.
I will update if it was related to profile. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just thought Iwould put it out there anyway :slight_smile: Maybe you will change over to KDE Neon :wink:

1 Like

Fedora is nice too… :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.