Brave freezes at startup

Description of the issue:

Starting brave-browser from command line opens a window, but the window is unresponsive (cannot event write in the address field).

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. $ brave-browser

Expected result:

A working browser.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

$ brave-browser --version
Brave Browser 79.1.2.42 

This is the latest apt could find for Debian Buster.

Additional Information:
brave-browser --disable-gpu seems to work fine.

The error I get on command line mentions GL ERROR:

$ brave-browser 
[23361:23361:0116/153801.405588:ERROR:vaapi_wrapper.cc(437)] The system version 1.4 should be greater than or equal to 1.5
[23361:23361:0116/153801.446252:ERROR:sandbox_linux.cc(372)] InitializeSandbox() called with multiple threads in process gpu-process.
[23338:23376:0116/153801.708086:ERROR:rewards_service_impl.cc(203)] Failed to read file: /home/gauthier/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ledger_state
[23361:23361:0116/153801.717386:ERROR:buffer_manager.cc(488)] [.DisplayCompositor]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_OPERATION : glBufferData: <- error from previous GL command
[23380:23380:0116/153801.752247:ERROR:ledger_impl.cc(103)] Failed to initialize wallet

I’ve seen one other issue in here (June 2019), but it was only fixed with an update, some Chromium: 75.0.3770.100.

Hi, @ghostwail, and welcome. I don’t have a Debian Buster VM worked up so I can’t test directly, at the moment, but Brave’s hardware acceleration is problematic on many OSs. I guess I would ask whether you’re posting for usability or for furthering the cause. It sounds like Brave works when you include the switch to disable the GPU. If so, from a usability standpoint, that would seem to be the solution, unless you want to use the GUI, in which case the switch can be included in a couple of ways (like a tiny bash script). Is that what you’re looking for? If your post is to further the cause of fixing the apparent incompatibility, then rock on.

Hi! Thanks for the answer.

I wanted to give more info, if that can be any help. Is this the wrong place?

Of course, if there is a solution, I’d be glad. I do some 3D CAD in a browser (onshape), and firing up Chrome again because of this felt… not good :wink:

I am not sure I understand what you mean about wanting the GUI and the switch that can be included. Do you mean that there is a GUI solution that replaces adding --disable-gpu on the command line? I’m fine with starting with a command.

For now I think I’ll try to use an older version.

1 Like

This is the place. I just hadn’t thought of a use case where it would make a big difference (I was pretty tired), and yours certainly does. So thank you.

@Mattches any idea whether the GPU acceleration might be smoother across the board in the future? I understand there are a lot of different GPUs, platforms, languages, etc., that have to be accommodated, so I’m sure it’s no easy task.

@hnktong,
Yes – we’re working to make any/all GPU processes smoother. In fact, we have a specific Wiki made specifically for capturing GPU issues so that we can better track and resolve them:
https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/wiki/GPU-issues---incident-reports

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.