Browser crashes when opened

Description of the issue:
When I open the Brave Browser, a window comes up for a split second, then it goes away.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open the browser by double clicking an icon
  2. Open the browser by using the ‘brave-browser’ command at a prompt

Expected result:
The browser opens and I can use it

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Can’t use ‘about brave’, here’s the output from ‘brave-browser --version’ in a terminal:
Brave Browser 93.1.29.79

Additional Information:
Here’s what I get when I try to open the browser via a terminal:

Error deserializing adblock engine
[74950:74950:0912/180002.402035:ERROR:ad_block_base_service.cc(234)] Failed to deserialize ad block data
thread ‘’ panicked at ‘called Result::unwrap() on an Err value: Utf8Error { valid_up_to: 2, error_len: Some(1) }’, /home/ubuntu/workspace/brave-browser-build-linux-release/src/brave/components/adblock_rust_ffi/src/lib.rs:176:56
note: run with RUST_BACKTRACE=1 environment variable to display a backtrace
[74987:74998:0912/180002.984388:ERROR:broker_posix.cc(40)] Recvmsg error: Connection reset by peer (104)
/usr/bin/brave-browser: line 48: 74950 Aborted (core dumped) “$HERE/brave” “$@”

Another strange thing, there is no “/home/ubuntu” directory after installation.

UPDATE: Renamed the .config/BraveBrowser directory and the browser now opens…but, obviously, without any of my previous information like tabs and saved passwords.

OK, number one, are you a developer or normal user?
If you are a developer, I can’t help (I’m trust level 1).
If you are a normal user, what window popped up?
I’m guessing Command Prompt. Yes,
you are on Linux, but, was it an Admin Command Prompt?
(I’m used to Windows. It might be called something else.)
Also, that missing ‘home/ubuntu’ file is weird. You
should reinstall Ubuntu. Try also going to Customize and Control brave --> More tools --> Developer tools and selecting Console (or press Ctrl + Shift + I). The console should show
ALL errors.

Thanks,
-Calvinpplayz7492

1 Like

I’m a run of the mill, every day user.
The window that pops up is a standard tabbed browser window…but it shuts in a split second.
Not sure about an ‘admin command prompt’…I just use sudo to get things done that need elevated privileges.

ANOTHER UPDATE: while I don’t know why the browser starts crashing…I was able to copy over the ‘Default’ directory and recover my previous session…tabs, passwords, etc.

OK. Are you still having this issue after the stuff you’ve done more recently?

What version of Ubuntu are you running this on, and how did you install Brave on it?

Why would you expect there to be a /home/ubuntu? Never heard of this so just asking – unless it’s an autologin setup, but even then I’m not sure.

What was the tab called? Random keys? Code? Also, can

you send me a video or snapshot of what happens?

Well, this is the second time the browser just quit working…I’ve figured out how to get the browser working again and get my session back, but still don’t know exactly why it failed in the first place.

Linux Mint 20.2 (I really like Mint…I use Ubuntu Studio for recording…really nice setup…but who cares about that here/now)

Installed Brave via Software Manager, and also via apt.

If you look at my original post, there’s a line in the error that mentions a path:

thread ‘’ panicked at ‘called Result::unwrap() on an Err value: Utf8Error { valid_up_to: 2, error_len: Some(1) }’, /home/ubuntu/workspace/brave-browser-build-linux-release/src/brave/components/adblock_rust_ffi/src/lib.rs:176:56

I thought that might provide a clue. No autologin set up…but if there was, it would be for my account and not Ubuntu.

As far as I can see, the window that popped up was blank…it comes up and goes away so fast I don’t have much time to see what’s going on…

I’ve got it working again (purging the /home/me/.config/BraveBrowser directory, the copying over the ‘Default’ directory), so I guess the only way to reproduce the problem would be to reinstate the BraveBrowser directory…but since I don’t really know what I’m doing, I’m a bit scared to do that and break stuff again…and this time maybe not be able to fix it.

Did you use the installation instructions at https://brave.com/linux/ or is the package part of one of the Mint repos?

That is sus (suspicious). I still think you should reinstall Linux.

(LMAO I thought you were on actual Ubuntu!) Have you tried restoring your PC?

Also, you really should use Windows. I mean, not that Linux is bad,

you could try out Windows 11. It’s still in beta, I know, there may be bugs,

(you need a Microsoft account and Windows Insider Program)

but Windows 11 is available on October 5! It’s crazy, just found it out.

Conclusion, either reinstall Linux (save your stuff on a USB drive) or get

a Windows 10 PC. (Windows is made by Microsoft)

I didn’t use those instructions…I installed initially from Software Manager and later just using ‘sudo apt install brave-browser’. If this happens again…well…I know how to get around the problem now, but I’ll still likely use the actual instructions.

Respectfully…no…I really should NOT use windows…for anything important anyway. My machine triple boots to Ubuntu Studio, Mint, and windows 10. The windows is for gaming…that’s it.
I don’t understand why I would reinstall Linux…the OS runs fine, the only hiccup was with Brave, and that’s been remedied. I just don’t know what caused the problem.
I’m not trying to be an ass…but I’ve seen companies fall apart because of their windows systems…windows, in my unsolicited opinion, is garbage. It’s always been garbage and will likely continue to be garbage.

Guess I sound like an ass. Sorry, I’m really not trying to be rude. You’re trying to help, and I thank you for that. I just don’t think windows is the answer. WAIT! I DO use windows for something important…I have an old copy of Photoshop CS2 that still runs on windows 10! But, as I learn Krita, I use that more and more.

Thanks everyone for the help. If I can provide any more information about this issue I’ll absolutely do my best.

2 Likes

Ok. I understand. Personally I would use windows, but you don’t have to. I was just recommending it. Don’t worry, I’m not sad.
I’m just a kid and my family calls me computer geek. I like tech; gaming, name it.

Calvinpplayz7492

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.