Brave forcing HDR YouTube, how do you turn this off?

Installed Brave today but when I go to YouTube all the videos are terrible looking with no white detail (screenshots provided) the only playback quality options are all HDR and I do not have an HDR screen. Can’t find anything in the settings for Brave and HDR or in the Flags for HDR.
Referring to videos that I guess are uploaded in HDR.
4K HDR video on YouTube

Why does Brave suggest I have an HDR screen?
Is no one else having this problem?
How do you turn this off?

Does not happen on Firefox, Chrome or Safari

Brave Version 1.19.86 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (x86_64) All settings are original defaults.

MacOS Big Sur version 11.1 iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) Processor 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

Brave is the first image and Safari is the second

1 Like

@Code_Quad,
I truly have no idea – I’ve never seen this before. Can you try clearing cache/browsing data for youtube (lock icon in address bar then Site settings --> Clear data) and see if you get the same results?

1 Like

Hey Mattches, yeah I can’t understand why either. It’s a weird one, but I tried clearing the data the way you instructed but it didn’t fix it.

2 Likes

@Code_Quad,
Can you try creating a temp profile, visiting Youtube and see if you get the same results?

I’m having the same issue. I tried creating a new profile, but same result.

Version 1.19.86 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (x86_64)
MacOS Catalina 10.15.7
MBP16 inch Core i7 2.6Ghz 16GB RAM AMD Radeon 5500M 8GB

Thanks for your help

1 Like

Hey Mattches,
Problem still persists after Creating a temp profile, and with logging into youtube.

First screenshot is logged in to YouTube.
Second screenshot is using a temporary profile.

2 Likes

Just a hunch, but, could this be related to a change in Chromium?

Today I got the same problem (see image). (I have a Macbook Air 2020 M1, in Safari the same video is looking fine). Thanks for any suggestions.

1 Like

FWIW, I think my Brave updated because the icon now has a white box around it and the problem is no longer happening :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

What version do you have?
I updated yesterday but I’m still having the HDR problems.

1 Like

Interesting. We have the same version.

I haven’t updated my OS either. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

2 Likes

Oh no problem that’s the joy of technology.
I do hope that there’s a solution soon though.

1 Like

Seems the problem resolved with some recent update.
I now use Brave Version 1.21.74 :+1:

1 Like

Yep I agree, Updating to 1.21.74 pretty much fixed it. Doesn’t show any extreme whites while watching videos anymore. Looks normal which is great, but still says HDR in the settings which is odd, but I’m happy :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.