Brave didn't shut down correctly

Every single time I open Brave it closes saying “Brave didn’t shut down correctly”, I’ve searched everywhere for solutions, I tried going to properties and writing --disable-gpu, also turned off hardware accelerating, and removed all extensions. I don’t have an antivirus nor a VPN. I also saw a thread on brave community with a solution and tried it but nothing (this one Brave Browser keeps crashing [solved]).

I hope someone can help me with this.

PD: I’ve been using Brave for 2 years and suddenly it constantly crashes.

1 Like

@fer3 ,

Notice that you write “every single time that [you] open Brave” Browser . . .

“it closes” . . .

without conveying the time interval.

Are you trying to write, that the browser immediately crashes after starting?

1 Like

Hi

@fer3

Try these:

First Click Ctrl + H to see if still have history. If working go to brave://settings/system and enable background.

If not working in the future

• Go to C:\Users\your device name\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default (this is correct for 64bit for, 32bit?)
  • Open the file preferences using bloc note.
  • Use CTRL+F to look for exit_type and change crashed to normal.
  • Save by Clicking CTRL+S.
  • Open Brave

Yes that was my intention, sorry if my english isn’t good

@fer3 ,

You are OK. I just dropped by, in order to help you get that (your actual intent) clear. Thanks for the quick response.

So there was no history, because I reinstalled it before, and the scan said that there were no violations, I’m guessing that’s good.

I’m using windows 10.

I’ve noticed that this crash started when I installed uTorrent (web and classic), when Brave asked for permission to install the uTorrent extension it crashed, although that stopped. I uninstalled uTorrent (both) among all its files, but the problem persists.

However after reinstalling brave and uninstalled all the uTorrent files and apps, it still asks permission to install the uTorrent extension. I’m just letting you know in case this is the cause.

If there is something you don’t understand please let me know.

@fer3 ,

As guide for locating items among your Brave Browser, profile user data, you might take a look at

https://community.brave.com/t/i-unistall-brave-without-to-copy-recovery-files/364869/3

You will see the paths to the Cache folder and the Cookies file. You might remove The Cache folder and Cookies file (to the Trash) . . . and then try the startup.

Also: Start Brave Browser from the command line; with errors output to a Desktop text file, “brave_console_out.txt”:

https://community.brave.com/t/brave-crashes-every-time-i-open-it/364678/14

If Brave Browser runs, then:

https://community.brave.com/t/lost-all-saved-password-after-the-new-update-to-1-38-109/383885/6

If Brave Browser will still not run, then move the BraveSoftware folder to the Desktop and try to run the browser.

%LOCALAPPDATA%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\

If Brave Browser will still not run, rename “brave.exe”

x86 architecture

C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe

64 architecture

C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe

@fer3
Check @ brave://settings/?search=torrent if “Uses WebTorrent to display torrents” is disabled. This way the app utorrent will open torrent links not Brave.

Done, but it still crashes.

Nothing, it still crashes, although not instantly, it takes about 5 seconds.

Hello @fer3

first close brave and make sure it not running from your task manager

could you start brave with this flag --user-data-dir=c:\foo create that foo folder first in drive c or anywhere else but change the bath based on that

check this one it’s for
chrome but still apply for brave https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/src/+/master/docs/user_data_dir.md#command-line

when you start brave it will looks like as if it new profile if it started fine and did not close again then close brave again make sure the it’s not in the task manager and remove the flag and start it again

Nothing, keeps crashing. I tried this several times now but it still crashes.

make sure brave is closed in the task manager and install utorrent again then open brave maybe some issue happened when you uninstalled it

Hi

@fer3

Try to do a complete uninstall of Brave using the freeware Revo Uninstaller. Install the Brave official version from https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017916752-What-is-the-difference-between-Nightly-Dev-Beta-and-Release-builds-

If not working, Open Command Prompt as administrator and enter sfc /scannow to check system files . This may take several minutes.

Is it possible to have a screenshot of Brave processes before crash as in image below.

This is what I see now, I turned off the webtorrent feature, then closed brave, and reversed the action, but it still crashes.

Did the scan already it said that everything was in order.

This is the screenshot of task manager right before it crashes.

not sure if i understand you
could you please say it in steps

A more detailed version

Yes, sorry for my english.

1. Installed utorrent web

2. Launched Brave, but it showed the error showed in the attached image.

3. Turned off this: brave://settings/?search=torrent

4. Relaunch brave

5. Turn it back on (this:brave://settings/?search=torrent) and relaunch Brave.

I was hoping that this will fix it but unfortunately no.