Brave Browser keeps closing even though i disabled cards

I open Brave and start to use it and then the pop up asks if I want to close the tabs open. Even when I press cancel it still closes.

@kidinferno Need you to provide the following info:

• Brave version you’re using

• Which OS you’re using

• If you see any crashes listed at brave://crashes (if you do, the Crash ID for them)

• When does this happen? For example, if you open Brave and do nothing, will it close? Are you navigating to certain sites or types of content?

Then I have steps for you to try and advise if you notice any changes. Do each one step at a time. (So do a step, test, see if it still happens)

• Disable all extensions.

• Toggle Use hardware acceleration when available in your browser. Setting for this is at brave://settings/system

• Create a new browser profile. Does this still happen in that profile? (make sure not to install any extensions when doing this)

• Disable antivirus/firewall. (just to see if they might be doing it)

Brave Version: Version 1.45.118 Chromium: 107.0.5304.91 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Crashes: None
It closes down after about 3 to 5 mins when I was navigating YouTube.

When I disabled all extensions it still closed on my personal account. Where I have my account signed in.

It still closed when I had “hardware acceleration when available” on and off.

When I created a new profile with nothing logged in and no extensions it did not close like it normally does.

I did disable and re-enable my antivirus and it still did the same thing.

Just recognized that when I am not on the YouTube tab it doesn’t close and continues to play in the background on my Personal profile. But as soon as I open the YouTube tab a few seconds to minutes it closes.

Thank you again for reaching out so quickly.

This does suggest it might be an extension causing the problem. Though it could also be that it’s cookies or a setting as well. So three potential issues to rule out.

I know you said you tried with extensions disabled and it happened, so we can make an assumption that’s not it. However, believe it or not, a while back someone found out their extension was interfering even with it off. It wasn’t until they removed it completely that things resolved. I forget which it was though, as it’s been more than 6 months.

In terms of the three potential to rule out, you can choose order. But I guess I’d say

• Try clearing Cookies and other site data at brave://settings/clearBrowserData, making sure you choose All Time on the drop down portion of Time Range. If it is a bad cookie or something causing problems, that should hopefully clear it out.

• Remove all extensions

Most likely it’s one of the above. BUT, next one, which can be more time consuming, is possible as well. Which is:

• Open settings and compare them between each browser profile. Try to adjust primary to be like new profile’s and see if things change. Of course, keep track of any flags you might have ever enabled too, if you’ve done so at brave://flags.

Wish I had a faster and more efficient way to kind of figure things out, but going through all of that should get you to an answer and have things resolved. We’re going off of the fact that you’re saying it’s not crashing/closing in new profile.

1 Like

Do a favor and give update on whether you stumble across what ended up being the solution of if none helps. I’m feeling comfortable in idea one of those will fix your problem and am wondering which. Regardless though, wanting to make sure you do get this resolved. If you go through those and nothing works, then we’ll try to get someone from Brave involved.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.