Brave Desktop freezes and ramps up CPU to 100% on some sites

Hi, I’m using Version 1.31.91 Chromium: 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Linux Mint 20.2.

The issue started on Friday (11/12/21), where my Gmail and Google Docs would freeze and ramp up to 100% CPU usage until I closed them. It seemed to just be perpetually loading the content without success. Eventually the pages would become ‘Unresponsive’ and I’d be prompted to wait or kill the task.
The error code was always ‘SIGILL’.

I also found that when I tried to use Twitter, if I tried to open a tweet in a new tab (either by CTRL+Click, or Right Click+“Open link in new tab”), the same problem would occur, and both tabs would crash.

These pages worked fine on Firefox, so I’m fairly confident the problem is isolated to Brave.

It could certainly be a Brave issue.

But first, are you using any extensions? Have you tried the same thing with them all disabled?

Or, does the issue occur if you create a new profile and try it in that profile?

Also, how did you install Brave? Did you use the instructions at brave.com/linux or some other method?

It seems that when I have 2 different crypto wallet extensions enabled (XDEFI and Metamask), the problem starts occurring. Thank you for the tip!
I’ll see if the problem persists with only one enabled, hopefully that’s all that the problem is.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.