Brave crashing (intermittent)

Description of the issue:

I get these crashes 0-2 times a day. Not quite sure what’s going on. The CPU usage goes to 100% for about a minute, during which time the system is unresponsive. It doesn’t appear to be linked to any activity in Brave either - it will still happen if Brave is in the background while I am working in another application.

How can this issue be reproduced?

I’ve tried and can’t reproduce it. Sometimes it happens after the browser has been open for days, sometimes only minutes after I reopen it after the previous crash. Web pages visited, extensions etc don’t seem to make a difference.

Expected result:

Working browser?

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.52.130 Chromium: 114.0.5735.198 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

System is Ubuntu 22.04

Crash from Saturday, 15 July 2023 at 04:33:10

Status: Uploaded
Uploaded crash report ID: 74340400-e8f6-640a-0000-000000000000
Upload time: Saturday, 15 July 2023 at 04:33:11


What type of crash is occurring? Does the browser crash? Does the computer crash and restart? Does Xorg crash and kick you to the login window? The last one is the issue I’m having. Just trying to see if this is happening to anyone else. I can recreate it by opening and closing brave several times (Xorg can crash on either), switching tabs happened once, and it has happened several times while the computer was not in active use.
Edit: I’m on Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 5.6.8
Edit 2: I also got it to happen when editing steam. I’m now guessing that it has something to do with chromium and/or is a hardware issue.

The app quits, that’s it. No log out or restart. I can easily restart it again but it’s a pain.

This has happened a couple more times since I made that post, but no extra reports are in brave://crashes.

I wonder if it might be something else. I might try using Wayland instead, maybe that will help…

Hello @AthenaShikata @fastfourier

could you try the following

  1. disable all extension then use the browser as you do for while maybe for a whole day if it work fine then renable the extension one by one till you get the one that causeing the issue

  2. could you try to use the private mode and see if it work fine or not if it work fine then maybe some issue with your browser cache so try to clear it as far as you could

  3. could you create new profile and without adding any extension and see if it work fine or not

hope one of those help you and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice. I’ll try it!

@fastfourier you welcome :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.