Brave crashes and closes when typing on a non-Tor private window with DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials on

Description of the issue:
Brave crashes when I type on the address bar in a private window (non-Tor) with the extension DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials allowed in private.

Steps to Reproduce:
Quick way

1. Launch Brave normally.
  2. Install DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials.
  3. Right-click on the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials icon on the extensions panel > ‘Manage extensions’.
  4. Turn on ‘Allow in private’.
  5. Open a new private window (non-Tor).
  6. Type anything on the address bar.

Alternative way

1. Launch Brave normally.
  2. Install DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials.
  3. Go to Main menu > Settings > Extensions > Manage Extensions.
  4. On the DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials tile, click on Details.
  5. Turn on ‘Allow in private’.
  6. Open a new private window (non-Tor).
  7. Type anything on the address bar.

Actual Result:
The entire Brave browser crashes and closes including the regular windows and the Tor-enabled private windows.

Expected result:
The character corresponding to the key pressed on the keyboard should be displayed on the address bar on the non-Tor private window without the browser crashing. The browser should work normally.

Reproduces how often:
It happens every time.

Operating System and Brave Version:
Version 0.67.124 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
a. I can type fine on a regular window and on a Tor-enabled window, but it crashes when I type on a private window without Tor.
b. It crashes even with all the other third-party extensions disabled (only Brave Shields, Brave Rewards and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials are enabled in all windows).
c. I can type fine without crashing on a non-Tor private window with the extension DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials not allowed in private.

1 Like

I was thinking of adding the Privacy Tools to use with Brave on a Mac.

Was going to post here asking whether that was likely to conflict with Brave’s ‘shields.’

Doesn’t look like there was any follow-up to the ‘crash’ issue [?]

Do we share similar issues?

I haven’t tried Privacy Essentials yet. I wanted to first inquire whether Brave’s shields were likely to interfere with it, or vice versa. (FWIW, I’m also on a Mac, which may or may not matter.)

User Go-go_duck had a problem with ‘search’ in a private window that he believed was caused by Privacy Essentials. He posted this in May (with no replies):
https://community.brave.com/t/duckduckgo-privacy-essentials-extension-blocks-searching-from-address-bar-in-private-windows/60656

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.