Brave crash after when trying new google search

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Description of the issue:
When I want to make a new search on Google, the app close itself and I need to reopen it.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Go to google homepage
  2. Make a search
  3. Click on a result
  4. Go back to google homepage with previous button
  5. Click on the search bar

Expected result:
The app should not close itself

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave 1.46.154

Mobile Device details
OnePlus 7 Pro Android 11

Additional Information:

@John92

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Please try deleting your cookies from the app to see if the issue is solved.

1. In Brave, open the main menu, then Settings --> Privacy. Note: You can also select Menu --> History --> Clear browsing data
  2. Select Clear browsing data

and change the default browser to see if this behavior persists. Let us know if that works and have a great day!

1 Like

Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
I’ve tried what you describe and it does not solve the issue.
Brave is already my default browser.

Post deleted by author

Hello,

I’ve tried your suggestion.
Making a search from the address bar works well, no crash.
The app crashes only when I use the search bar on google.com. I made a test with chrome and chrome crashed too.

Clearing the app cache didn’t change anything.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hello @John92

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Can you please go to brave://crashes and

• if you have automatic crash reporting is enabled (Settings --> brave shields and privacy --> Automatically send diagnostic reports), please respond back here with the crash report ID
  • If Automatically send diagnostic reports is not enabled, ensure you click Send on these crash reports listed on the page, then reply here with the crash report ID.

Regards!

Hello,

Here is the crash report ID : a22e0400-d60f-7509-0000-000000000000.

Thank you.

Hello again! @John92

And thanks for your reply. I’ll share this information with my support team, so they can be aware about this!

Have a great day.

Hello. Any progress with this bug? The browser is pretty unusable because of this.

Btw Brave also crashes on the DuckDuckGo web search with the same reproduction steps.

Can you please confirm that you’re seeing this issue on the latest version of the browser (v1.48.158 at the time of writing this)? Additionally, I know that you tried clearing the app cache, can you please try clearing the site cache in the browser using the steps below?

1. Launch Brave
  2. Go to Menu —> Settings
  3. Tap Site settings
  4. Tap All sites
  5. Search for www.google.com
  6. Tap on it in the list
  7. Tap Clear & reset at the bottom

Test this behavior again.

I’m experiencing the exact same crash for weeks. Even if I apply all the updates, even if I clear the caches nothing changes.

It doesn’t just happen on google or duckduckgo. It happens on bings search bar too.

Crash report: 55ac0100-4c89-a009-0000-000000000000

Autofill(/Password) manager: Dashlane

Hi.
I’m using version 1.48.160, which is the latest version on Google Play as of today. I deleted the data for google.com as you wrote, but the crash is still easily reproducible using the steps in the OP. I did the same for duckduckgo.com but the problem remains there as well.

Occasionally the browser doesn’t crash, but I’m not sure yet what I was doing differently.

@aargh,
Can you please tell me the crash report IDs from these crashes, found on your brave://crashes page?

There are many, so here are a few of them:
9dad0200-4c89-a009-0000-000000000000
6aad0200-4c89-a009-0000-000000000000
e9ac0200-4c89-a009-0000-000000000000

1 Like

@aargh,
Would you mind trying to disable your Autofill provider in Android settings and then test again and see if you get the same behavior? While the steps to find these settings will vary by device, you should be able to search in your Android settings for Autofill and find the right setting.

Please set the Autofill service to None, close/relaunch the browser, then try testing the behavior again and tell me if the browser still crashes.

@Mattches Jackpot! I switched autofill off and the problem is gone. My autofill provider is Bitwarden.
Does that mean the bug is caused by Bitwarden? I’ve been using it for at least two years and the problem appeared pretty recently, about a month or two.

Thank you for the information.
We are not yet clear on whether or not the issue is bitwarden specifically — can you please tell me the exact device type and Android OS you’re using when you see this issue?

Thank you

HUAWEI HONOR 10 COL-L29
Android 10 - EMUI 10.0.0.180 (C432E5R1P4patch01)

Hello, it also works for me when I deactivate the autofill. I use bitwarden also but i don’t think it is related because i got the same issue when i activate the autofill with google services.

1 Like

Thank you both for the information — still digging into the issue.

Appreciate your patience with us on this.