Brave constantly crashing on several websites

Description of the issue:
Brave is constantly crashing since the last update. Brave shut down when i try to open certain tabs and all the time when i try to open a PDF.
for instance, if i try to click on “How do i submit a bug report” on brave website (https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001059151-Contact-Us) it will crash…

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. random website/link ; systematically when i try to open a PDF
    2.try to open it
  2. brave crash

Expected result:
Not to crash on every website + fix it asap…

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.42.88 Chromium: 104.0.5112.81 (Build officiel) (x86_64)

Additional Information:
update: i’ve created a new profile and it works normally, but the problem persists on my original profile…

same here using Mac OS v. 10.15.7 – aside from certain sites crashing it, when you reopen Brave and have several tabs reopened, just clicking on menu “About Brave” crashes it.

Sorry, really can’t help. I know nothing about macOS. Just posting information that may help you troubleshoot if you are still experiencing a problem.

Since Brave does not crash in a new profile, it may be an extension that is causing a problem. If you have extensions installed, try disabling them. You can then turn them back on one by one to see which extension(s), if any, are causing problems.

General troubleshooting for any OS:
Please make sure you are updated to the lastest Brave version (currently 1.42.97) to see if that resolves the issue. You can also try clearing history/cache for all time on the advanced tab at brave://settings/clearBrowserData, close the browser and reopen.

Older topic links for troubleshooting (specific to macOS):

Crash Reports (update post with crash report id):

Related Brave GitHub Issue Report:
Brave crashes consistently when opening “About Brave” #21424

Please post an update. Include any crash report IDs and any error messages you may have in your update.

Hope this helps. Take care.

@bluelobe @mrivi,
Thank you for reaching out. @mrivi mentioned that the browser works when using a new profile, which makes me think this may be an extension issue. Can you both please try disabling any extensions you have installed at this time and test to see if the browser still crashes?

I will also note that at least @mrivi is running a slightly older version of the browser — if you can’t launch the About Brave page to update the browser, you can do so by re-downloading the installer from our official website and running it (it will not overwrite anything, simply fetch and apply the newest updates).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.