Brave keeps crashing on my mac

Description of the issue:
I’ve been using brave for a very long time, around 10 months to 1 year. I’ve had absolutely no issues with brave within the time that I’ve had it. But recently, in the past few days it just keeps crashing and refuses to work on my imac. Sometimes when you try to open the browser, it opens, crashes and closes automatically. Other times it opens and works as usual but then when you try to search something or click on any tab that isn’t the home page it then crashes and closes itself ‘application not responding’. Brave crashes are automatic and they have been sending some, I’ve managed to pull the brave://crashes tab open somehow and have seen a ton of crash reports. I mainly use brave for its safety features and really love the browser, so I really do not want to switch away from brave, also due to the fact that it has all my data, passwords and bookmarks. I can list some crash reports from a few days ago but not new ones, since the browser is opening, crashing, and closing automatically.

Steps to Reproduce:
1: I kept trying to open the browser
2: Restarted my Mac
3: Updated my Mac to the latest version
4: Removed all browser extensions
4: Deleted Brave, and reinstalled it
5: Downloaded brave on my Iphone 15 to see if I would encounter an issue there
6: Downloaded brave Nightly and Beta
7: Cleared cache from my mac

Actual Result:
Brave is still crashing/freezing/not opening at all, sometimes allowing certain websites to load but if I try opening other websites such as youtube, would just crash and close.

Operating System and Brave Version
Brave Version: v1.68.137
Imac Version: Catalina 10.15.7

Additional Information:
If anything else is needed please let me know

@Nite_shadowzz,
Can you please try re-running the installer (found at brave.com/download) to apply the latest updates to v1.68.141 and tell me if the browser continues to crash after the update?

Thank you

@Mattches ,

It allows me to open the browser now, as far as I can see it works, but is extremely slow.
Any idea how I can boost the speed for the browser?

@Nite_shadowzz,
Can you try creating a new browser profile (Menu --> More tools --> Add profile), close you original profile window and browse for a bit in the new one and see if it’s still slow?

@Mattches

Thanks, it’s working normally now. Appreciate it, I’ve been struggling for some time now and was really frustrated, so thank you for helping.

1 Like

You’re welcome.
So to confirm, the browser works as expected using the new profile? If so, that means that there’s likely something contained within your original profile that is causing the slow down. Most common causes being:

• A particular extension(s)
  • Cache/browsing data needing to be cleared
  • An site that is open in a tab

May be worth trying to narrow down the cause on your original profile so that you don’t have to start fresh. Happy to help you further troubleshoot

@Mattches

I cleared my extensions but the problem was still there, after I cleared cache I could open brave and go on a new account so I think that was the problem. Thanks anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.