Frequent Crashing, MacOS Monterey, M1

avid,

A while ago, I looked over a Mac OS Crash Report, and produced an example of how to [try and] gain some focus in all that clutter – take a look at:

1 Like

I ran Brave from a terminal. Here is the output, after a recent crash (a couple of minutes ago) using my default profile:

I’m not crashing but it’s become unbearably slow for me

2 Likes

I’ve also found that Brave sucks memory, so perhaps that’s causing the slowness?

@avid , @Mattches , @clifton , @rebron2000 , @kamil , @natetronn , @SomeGuyToo ,

Re the Console output that “avid” managed to capture via the Mac Terminal.app comand line, and upload to Pastebin (avid’s reply 7, above) . . .

source: chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd/out/brave_extension_background.bundle.js

is throwing a lot of errors. Example (there were 12 affected tabs, tabID: 2 included):

ERROR:CONSOLE(1)] “[Shields]: Can’t request shields panel data for tabId: 2. Error: No tab url specified”, source: chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd/out/brave_extension_background.bundle.js (1)

There is definitely unhappiness of/with:

“chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd”

Note the last entry (by “philiprhoades”) at that last link:

Brave_keeps_locking_up

Other errors:

ERROR:sharing_service.cc(222)] Device registration failed with fatal error

ERROR:quic_idle_network_detector.cc(102)] SetAlarm called after stopped

[YouTube]
ERROR:CONSOLE(14)] “Failed to handle media duration metadata: missing publisher key for media key youtube_cO6txCZpbsQ”, source: chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd/out/brave_extension_background.bundle.js (14)

ERROR:shared_image_manager.cc(275)] SharedImageManager::ProduceOverlay: Trying to Produce a Overlay representation from a non-existent mailbox.

ERROR:get_updates_processor.cc(260)] PostClientToServerMessage() failed during GetUpdates with error

1 Like

For any users here experiencing these crashes, can you please go to brave://crashes and

• if you have automatic crash reporting is enabled (Settings --> Privacy/Security --> Automatically send diagnostic reports), please respond back here with the crash report ID
  • If Automatically send diagnostic reports is not enabled, ensure you click Send on these crash reports listed on the page, then reply here with the crash report ID

Thank you.

2 Likes

Answering my own question: open Extensions tab > toggle ‘Developer mode’ to on > read the ID.

The only problem now is that I don’t have an extension with the ID ‘mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd’. Huh?

Edit: see brave://inspect/#extensions

It’s a native extension, I guess — Brave’s Sheilds.

avid,

The chrome extension of interest, is apparently built-in to Brave Browser. I found the chrome extension at:

/Users/user_shortname/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Local Extension Settings/mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd

Yet, the only extensions and control of same, that I know of - ie that are apparent to the typical user of Brave Browser - are somehow in the Settings at:

brave://settings/extensions

And, certainly, there is no clue [until it makes itself known by ERROR messages] to

“chrome-extension://mnojpmjdmbbfmejpflffifhffcmidifd”

I suspect that the chrome extension might also be the cause of, or related to causes of, other problems with Brave Browser:

• instability of the Shields settings

• instability of the browser background

• instability of downloading PNG formatted files

• instability of the Brave Browser display window [mobile]

For example, re the latter, the LEFT and RIGHT arrows for going back and forward among Brave Browser windows, disappear at random occasions. [Tapping where they should be, re-lights their icons.]

Meanwhile, I would follow the instructions given by “Mattches” – it is good that he came to our help.

1 Like

@Mattches

This one is from just now:
64540000-251c-ba07-0000-000000000000

One from 15:38 today is
6c250000-251c-ba07-0000-000000000000

From 10:24
e3240600-d4e4-b007-0000-000000000000

2 Likes

@avid,
Can you also open the browser and share a couple additional screenshots for me? Namely, the browser task manager (Menu —> More tools --> Task manager) and expand it as much as possible so we can see as much of the information as we can at once? Then, can you also do this with the macOS activity monitor (while Brave is running)? Make sure you’re on the Memory tab when you take the screenshot.

Thank you.

1 Like

Feb. 10 2022 12:26:
1bc1f046-34db-4a48-b282-285c8249f64d

@Mattches

(Re the Activity Monitor shot: this was taken only a couple of minutes after a crash-and-restart, so the memory usage is very low. I find that Brave (or perhaps a Brave extension) leaks memory, and usage will climb steadily until the OS starts giving warning dialogs.)

avid,

At the top of both screenshots - the tabs . . .

In your first screenshot, it would help to click on “Process Name”

In your second screenshot, it would help to click on “Task”

Thanks.

1 Like

@289wk Can you explain, please? I don’t see how alphabetical order would help here.

Groups together, same or similar -named processes:

Activity_Monitor_re_Brave_Browser_processes

The actual location of most of those processes:

/Applications/Brave Browser.app/Contents/Frameworks/Brave Browser Framework.framework/Versions/98.1.35.101/Helpers

2 Likes

@289wk @Mattches

2 Likes

avid,

For comparison, my Activity Monitor (Mac OS 10.12 “Sierra” / Brave Browser v 1.35.101), moments ago:

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 5.37.32 PM

1 Like

@289wk Do you have many tabs open? I have ~27 open right now in my default profile, with the TabSuspender extension suspending most of them.

Running my plain-vanilla profile looks like this:

Interesting that it employs so many Helper processes compared to yours, even with only two tabs open.

avid,

The Brave Browser Task Manager on Mac OS 10.12 “Sierra” is at

Brave menu >> Window >> Task Manager.

I just took a screenshot:

I started this session of Brave Browser, from the command line, adopting most of the command that you had used:

I have Brave Browser crash reporting Enabled, but despite that, and rarely having a crash, the last crash (occured earlier today - while trying to start from the command line) . . . NO crash reports, ever show up at:

brave://crashes/

BTW, there was a BB crash problem during the summer (2021), and the following was one of the temporary fixes:

Another temporary fix (involved the “cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam” folder), is in the details of the link I entered at my reply 6, above (what I wrote to “pedroteu” back in August):

Frequent Crashing, MacOS Monterey, M1 - #6 by 289wk

Therein:

Reference: “NOTICE: Users seeing browser freeze or crash may have faulty Ad Block Updater component ” [Original Post by “Mattches”]

PS. I set Brave Browser to perform certain tasks securely. Safari was running very slowly, and Firefox would eat up a lot of RAM. I tried other Internet browsers, but none seem to be as secure as BB.

2 Likes

I too have been having frequent crashes. Because I didn’t want to nuke my profile, I played around a bit with settings. One thing that helped me was that Going to About Brave always crashed. So it made experimentation pretty easy.

After lots of trial and error, I’ve discovered that if I disable ipfs functionality completely then Brave no longer crashes for me. It is worth a shot, it might help or it might not.

Edit: Return of the Crashes has started.

2 Likes