Brave Browser will not access certain websites when logged in as certain user

My Brave Browser will not access certain websites, and instead I get a “This site can’t be reached - ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED” error. For example, nhl.com. Two important data points:

(1) My other browsers on this computer (Chrome, Firefox) have no issues with the same sites
(2) If I log in as a different user on the same computer and try to use Brave to access the same sites, I do NOT get this error (i.e. I have no trouble accessing the websites in question).

As such it would appear that it is a Brave-specific (not OS-specific) issue that is somehow tied to my user configuration settings. (?)

How can this issue be reproduced?

It can be reproduced at will. When logged in as me, simply go to any of these sites (e.g. nhl.com) and I get the ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED error.

Expected result:

To load web pages normally, regardless as to which user is using Brave.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.31.91 Chromium: 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

System is Linux Mint 20.2 (Uma). I have also tried “resetting Brave” through the Settings menu. No luck.

Are you using a proxy?

Do you have any extensions installed/enabled? If so, does it still happen with them all disabled?

Does the issue occur in a Private window?

Does the issue occur if you create a new profile and try it in that profile?

Are you using ‘Secure DNS’ settings in Brave?

Is anything set in brave://flags ? (Anything with a non-default setting will be sorted to the top, and will have a blue dot next to it.)

1 Like

No proxy.

Only one extension (Okta) but it is (and was already) disabled.

Does not happen within a Private Window (good suggestion) nor with a new profile.

Secure DNS is set to “With your current service provider”.

Nothing non-default in flags.

OK. This seems to suggest it’s something specific to the profile.

I was leaning towards Secure DNS, but, I am pretty sure that setting is cross-profile in which case you should have seen the issue in the new profile as well (unless it’s different on Linux). But it’s easy enough to flip on and off, so maybe try turning that off and see what happens.

How did you install Brave, did you use the OS package (which I believe is from the Snap store) or did you use the instructions at brave.com/linux?

I know you mentioned there’s no proxy; but did you install any packages that provide OS-level ‘ad blocker’ or ‘parental control’ features? Oftentimes those work as a proxy server would.

Thanks for the suggestion - will try that with th esecure DNS. Worst case I’ll just (re)create myself from a new profile.

I installed Brave using the built-in (Linux Mint) software manager - similar to using the official app store on Android. As such I did not follow any instructions from brave.com/linux. However note that I have been a Brave user for years, and this behaviour only started recently. So it’s not a case of something going wrong with the installation.

FWIW I have no OS-level ad blockers or parentla control features.

Thanks again for all your help.

NP. It may seem that it’s not an issue with the installation, however, there are several known and documented issues with the Snap package (vs. the Brave-provided package), and we’ve seen even other issues still in the forums here when using the Snap package. And I’m pretty sure your OS-installed package is that one.

You can do a ‘which brave’ or ‘which brave-browser’ in a terminal, and I think you’ll find it in a path something like snap something-or-other. In which case I’d highly recommend reinstalling using the instructions on the brave.com site, and I’m pretty sure it will be able to continue using your existing profile data (backup first though, just in case).