Brave Browser no longer launches

Yesterday my Brave worked fine, however as of today the browser no longer starts. I click on the shortcut and it doesn’t open. I’ve checked in the windows task manager and it runs as a background process after double clicking, but the window never appears.

I’ve uninstalled Brave and reinstalled with the latest version (current as of 24/07/2024 - 127.1.68.128 ?), and the issue persists. I’m able to get the browser to launch by adding “-incognito” to the shortcut, however if I try to open a new brave window from there, it crashes and closes all instances of Brave currently running (all private windows).

I can’t see any folder marked “error” in my Brave directory, or anywhere I can extract a log or error file from.

The error repeats EVERYTIME as I have described. I have brave installed on another machine, running windows 10, and there is no issues with Brave running on that PC.

My pc specs are
|—|—|
|Processor|AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D 12-Core Processor 4.40 GHz|
|Installed RAM|128 GB (127 GB usable)|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|

Windows Version

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 23H2
OS build 22631.3880
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22700.1020.0
1 Like

Hi @Mylo, can you please confirm if you’re using the latest Brave version released today (1.68.128)?

Can you please also go to brave://crashes and

• if you have automatic crash reporting is enabled (Settings --> Privacy/Security --> Automatically send diagnostic reports), please respond back here with the crash report ID
  • If Automatically send diagnostic reports is not enabled, ensure you click Send on these crash reports listed on the page, then reply here with the crash report ID

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Steeven, under “Help > About Brave”, doesn’t work as it tries to run the version report in a regular instance of Brave, and instantly crashes.

I have re downloaded the “BraveBrowserSetup-BRV010.exe” file as of 19:30 GMT today, and in the Brave install directory there is a folder “127.1.68.128”, so I assuming that shows that Version " 1.68.128 " is what is currently installed.

Hopefully this helps.

@Mylo have you added any new extentions?

1 Like

Hi Steeven, Sadly, I can’t set Brave to automatically send diagnostic reports as the settings for Brave are handled in a regular instance of Brave, and I can’t get that to run.

I’ve found the crash logs in

C:\Users\USERX\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Crashpad\reports

When I run the latest .dmp file thru a debugger, I get:

*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for ntdll.dll
ntdll!NtDelayExecution+0x14:
00007ff8`82730624 c3 ret

Hopefully this helps.

@Mylo,
Do you have any extensions installed at this time?

1 Like

I did have extentsions installed, I’m not certain if all extentions run in private, however most of them do.

All extensions that run in private have been removed as they can removed right clicking the icon and clicking remove. Is there a way to disable all extensions from running or a way to delete them at source in the installed dir?

I forgot to add, that even after removing extensions, the problem persists.

Seeing exactly same problem here - was working without issue yesterday, this morning it refuses to load except with -incognito flag. have uninstalled / reinstalled, version on brave.exe is 172.1.68.128. Running on Win10, AMD Ryzen as well (Ryzen 7 3700X).

2 Likes

@Mylo and @squirrell could you both try opening in a new profile?

Go to your shortcut on the desktop that you use to launch Brave and right click on it, go to Properties, and then go to the Target line.

On the Target line you’ll see something like "C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --profile-directory="Default"

Change the word Default to Test Profile So it would end up being something like:

"C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --profile-directory="Test Profile"

Click Apply and then you can hit Ok. When you open that desktop shortcut, it should open your browser in a new profile

I’d like to know if that will work with no issues. And if it does, you should also be able to go to brave://crashes and be able to upload the crash reports directly (by clicking Send Now and then exiting the browser) if they didn’t already upload.

2 Likes

Tried this - same problem, browser window never appears, task manager does not show any brave.exe process. I check the user data area, a new folder called “Test Profile” is created (in %appdata%\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Test Profile) and populated

2 Likes

Came here to suggest using the “test profile” option that @Saoiray suggested — would be helpful for anyone encountering this issue to report the results of this test.

1 Like

That’s a weird one @squirrell and I’m sure will give @Mattches and the devs some info. Other thing I’m asking people who are having this issue, can you check to see if you have any issues when running Brave Beta or Brave Nightly?

https://brave.com/download-beta or https://brave.com/download-nightly

1 Like

Hi Saoiray, I tried this and have the same issue as Squirrel. I’ve sent the crash report.

1 Like

Both beta and nightly working fine :grinning:

1 Like

Well, that’s good news. So now it’s just figuring out if it’s something in the version having problems or if we have another issue somewhere like flags, extensions, or even something on your device (like a firewall or security program) causing issues.

Guess I should also ask, are you the primary user? More specifically, are you the administrator? And if so, does trying to open ad administrator do anything?

Just a random thought is all. After that, I’m likely out of ideas for the moment. These are just some small things I know sometimes can make a difference and is trying to help to rule out some things. As they say, the more we test, the better we can pinpoint the problem.

Not running anything unusual here - windows firewall, normal windows anti-malware (whatever it is called these days - defender?). Primary user, member of local admins, but usually running Brave non-elevated. Have just tried run-as-admin - no change to behavior.

1 Like

Can any/everyone here share with me the specific/exact Windows version they’re using at this time?

Win 10 Pro, x64, 22H2. OS build 19045.4651

1 Like