Brave Browser no longer launches

I was able to open Brave using the Test Profile. But I lose all my bookmarks, and sites where I was already logged in.

I also had to rename a file called Local State, that lives in %localappdata%\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\

If I use my original Local State it doesn’t work.

Hello, I’m having the same issue. However, one of my brave profiles is working still. I have tried a reinstall, a reboot etc. It still crashes any time I try to right click on a link to open it, or if I attempt to go into the settings by clicking the three lines in the top right. I can view my extensions, clicking there causes no issues. I can also right click around web pages. All other brave profiles I use however, cannot be used at all they instantly crash. I do have extensions on every profile including the one I am using right now

My windows version is Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406).

I was able to send a few crash reports since I was able to enable that feature. The only thing I have to note otherwise is that this is the only brave profile I use with out an ad blocker like ublock origin.

Here is my crash report ID that I was able to send in. 9c280300-7e4f-570c-0000-000000000000 And the other one that generated after I right clicked a link and crashed. c5330300-7e4f-570c-0000-000000000000

Hi,

I have the same probrem.
Yesterday Brave works fine.
Today its works only in private mode.
If I try to use any brave menu (as settings or about brave) private mode crash.

I try to reinstall / reboot without any result.

Windows 11 Pro 23H2 22631.3880
Processor : AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
Installed RAM : 32 GB

Just curious, is anyone who’s having issues a Netdocuments user by any chance? Looks like there’s a good amount of users that are reporting crashes on startup via https://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/1eb14zp/chrome_crashing_almost_instantly_after_update/ which is related to the Netdocuments extension. Could be a completely different issue but figured I would ask just in case.

Also, to narrow down if this is an extension issue, what happens if you launch Brave using --disable-extensions?

C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application
λ brave.exe --disable-extensions

Does that resolve the crashes by any chance? If it does, it’s definitely extension related. At that point, you can probably remove them one by one and narrow down which one is causing the start-up crash.

If --disable-extensions doesn’t work and the browser still crashes, then there’s something else that’s causing the crash that we need to figure out.

Same Issue. Can open Incognito Window, but not a normal one. I get an Extension Error, but when I click on it the browser crashes. I removed all chrome extensions with no change.

Does launching Brave with --disable-extensions help? Or same result? For example:

C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application
λ brave.exe --disable-extensions

Same Result as the default profile, but I might be doing it wrong. I still am only able to launch Incognito Mode and it gives me an Extension Error flag, and crashes when I click on it or Manage Extensions

• Within Windows, search for Powershell
  • right click on Windows Powershell and launch as Administrator

Once you have Powerhsell opened, cd into your Brave installation directory. Example:

cd "C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application"

Then launch Brave using the following:

./brave.exe --disable-extensions

At that point, Brave should launch with all the extensions disabled. If you go into brave://extensions, it should be empty.

If that doesn’t work, then something else is going on. But definitely seems extension related though as per your message re: getting an error. Mind posting a screenshot of what you’re seeing re: gives me an Extension Error flag?

1 Like

I have this problem too, worked yesterday but now it won’t open. Before finding this thread, I spent 8 hours going through older threads with similar issues. I found that if I delete my User Data folder, Brave opens again but all my settings and preferences are gone obviously. I tried to figure out which file was the cause, and found someone saying the Local State was the issue for them. Tried deleting that and Brave eventually worked (not the 1st time though). All my bookmarks are there, but my passwords, history and previously open pages are gone. Unfortunately I haven’t backed my passwords up manually, nor have I synced and I NEED them! Any fixes?

I’m on Windows 10, latest Brave update (I uninstalled and reinstalled today) and Brave Beta works

@kamil have just tried running with --disable-extensions - No change, brave.exe still fails to open.

First and foremost I would thank the user who suggested deleting the local state file, it IS the solution, (though you will lose all saved passwords which is unacceptable)Tried all the others Powershell launch, disable gpu, disable extensions bla bla bla…NONE worked. Second thing I will say , this is the second time in the last week a major company has pushed an update which caused havoc on some users computers , which could easily been avoidable had Brave implemented a SIMPLE feature…TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES…Oh and if some one from Brave actually reads this how the hell do I get my passwords back ? EDIT So I started redoing the passwords and now after asking me do you want to save them…they’re not fkin saving…password page is empty after spending an hour redoing the critical ones**** Only information on page is :do you want to import a .csv file…not impressed 1 bit. Been using brave for years and in 1 update it’s all gone.

It’s not up to us to fix, it’s up to Brave, give them as much info as possible and they’ll hopefully patch it.

Experiencing same issue.
At first i could not launch brave at all. Tried the test profile, and now I’m able to launch brave at least.
But whenever i click the “profile” or “customize and control brave” it instantly crashes again. Using Windows 11 Pro.

heres 2 of the crash reports ID

2f370700-7e4f-570c-0000-000000000000
2c370700-7e4f-570c-0000-000000000000

I want to add something. Open Chrome Browser and update it. After then, Brave launches normally. But, if you click profile, it crashes. Before updating Chrome Browser, there were no launch.

So, it is also related with Chromium update?

I’ve noticed that if I right click on a link, it will crash, but if I use the middle scroll button on my mouse, to open a new tab, it works.

I played with Local State file. Renamed it. New one comes. Then ran Brave and it works fine. But, profiles are deleted. Then, I edited Local State file and added profile data from the old one and saved it. Tried to run Brave, it opened, and when I click profiles, it crashed again.

So, problem is actually related with “PROFILES”.

(In order to loose nothing, do not delete Local State file. Just rename it. So, you can recover it.)

Works!!!

1 Like

Hi @MORATORYUM, great to hear! The team is working on a fix for affected users and is aiming to have it out by tomorrow. In the meantime, for those who haven’t yet seen, here is a workaround Can no longer start Brave, can in Icognito - #65 by clifton.

The issue can be tracked here https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/40005.