I have been using Brave for a few months now, and just upgraded to a new MacBook Pro with 8 cores and 32 Gig of ram. I have a TON of browser tabs open (easily 150) in 9 windows total at the moment. But for the last few days I have suddenly had my fan going at full blast when Brave is running. Checking process monitor it is clear that it was a Brave Helper process that was pegging CPU at 100%!!! I think this started when I was watching a couple of youtube videos, but can’t be certain. I ended up downloading an extension to put tabs to sleep, which didn’t help at all. I had already closed the youtube tabs (before installing extension) that I had open, with no improvement.
The only thing that worked was killing the Brave helper process. Not sure of next steps, but I am happy with Brave, and am fully behind the project and its vision, so I am truly hoping there is a solution to this problem (looks like it has been around for a while judging by some of the hits I got in my Google searches).
A couple of additional notes:
Brave version 0.70.122
I am using Mac OS Catalina
I had only two extensions installed and active (Last-Pass and Ublock Origin)
Lastpass MAY HAVE BEEN the cause, though I can’t be sure, and it is not new to my workflow.