Brave Browser Helper running 99% CPU

Out of the blue a few weeks ago, I noticed my Macbook Pro (2019) 13in, 16gb ram was running extremely loud. I only had about 12 tabs open and eventually saw in Activity Monitor that Brave Browser Helper was taking up 99.5% CPU.

I’ve tried:

  • Disabling hardware accelerator
  • Updating Brave to 1.2.43
  • Multiple restarts
  • Resetting SMC
  • Force quitting Brave Browser helper (just persists)
  • Restarting Brave Browser (multiple times)
  • Running only 1 tab of different websites (always running 99% CPU)

All to no avail.

I ended up switching back to Chrome, which is a bummer because I was enjoying Brave.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jron - thanks a bunch for reporting. What OS are you running? Had you installed any new extensions around the time that you noticed the change in CPU usage?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @steeven,

I’m running macOS Catalina 10.15.2 .

The only extension I can think of would have been OneTab, but I have removed almost all extensions and the problem still persists.

I’m having the same issue and I had to stop using Brave for now. A tried deleting every extension and Brave Rewards but the problem still persists.

My specs are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: 186.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.28f7

I found the issue.

Bat Ledger Service takes a looooot of CPU usage