MacBook Pro CPU usage at 100 percent

Hello everyone,

Just want to report that brave is making my MacBook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.3 CPU max out at 100 percent. Looks like I have the latest update from brave and apple. Could you guy look into this? Im running 1.2.43 from brave. Let me know if a fix is on the way. Spec for my Mac is below.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

2 Likes

I have a very similar issue on my iMac. My cpu is constantly pinned when Brave is running. I do not have this issue when using Chrome itself.

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
24 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

Had the same problem.
After checking the activity monitor i saw it was the “Brave helper” process that maxed out.
Removing the extension Download Manager instantly chilled the machine.
There might be other extensions causing this problem.

It surely could be related to an extension. I have the same extensions in Firefox and haven’t run into any similar issues. I’ve had to switch full time to Firefox as Brave became essentially unusable. I would have to go to Activity Monitor and force kill all Brave related processes (other than the main browser process) constantly.

Disappointed.

Having basically the same experience. Brave Browser Helper immediately and continuously not quite pegs but remains above 95% usually 98-99%. Google Chrome is updated as is Brave and no similar issue. Only have two extensions both of which I’ve disabled. The problem started in the last few weeks at some point, before that things were just fine, Brave probably used less CPU than Chrome and certainly less than Firefox despite it being my preferred/primary browser.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro13,2
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 3.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: 263.0.0.0.0
SMC Version (system): 2.37f21

macOS 10.15.2

Version 1.4.95 Chromium: 80.0.3987.122 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Has now persisted through at least one minor browser update maybe several.

Doesn’t make the system unusable but drains battery quickly when unplugged, definitely makes it run hot & the fan then almost constantly on, accounting for the battery drain presumably.

Reddit and other threads indicate this isn’t a totally isolated experience it seems

Also suggested steps elsewhere of disabling Hardware Acceleration don’t seem to help.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.