Brave bookmarks breaks bookmarks on Chrome and Edge

Installed Brave and did an initial import of bookmarks from Chrome. Import seemed correct at the time.

I am required to use Chrome for access to work resources. When I open Chrome, the first sign that something was wrong was that when I would click on “Bookmarks”, the pop-out screen would only show for 2 - 3 seconds and then disappear. I went into Chrome’s bookmark manager and found that all the bookmarks in Chrome are mixed up, variety of different (incorrect) folders, custom names not matching URL, etc. Duplicates everywhere. I corrected these errors in Chrome. Restarted the computer. Upon reboot, I opened Chrome and the Bookmarks were correct momentarily, but within 5 seconds, the bookmarks reverted. Same behavior as before.

The only thing that had changed was the installation of Brave. I uninstalled Brave, rebooted, restarted Chrome, fixed all the errors using Chrome’s Bookmark Manager again, rebooted, and this time things work in Chrome correctly. I am hesitant to reinstall Brave at this point because I MUST be able to use Chrome and Edge seamlessly in parallel with Brave without any interference.

There was a similar topic on this that is closed - you can find it here: Importing Bookmarks from Chrome wrongly changes all bookmarks in Chrome also. Chrome and Brave appear to somehow be wrongly linked such that when you import bookmarks from Chrome into Brave, it then changes the original structure of bookmarks in Chrome

1. To reproduce, - install Brave and Chrome
  2. Import from Chrome and Edge
  3. Open Chrome and watch your folder structure turn itself inside-out.

Expected result:

**Brave Version - I do not know, I did verify it was the latest version available for download on the publicly available download at Brave.com

Desktop:

Device name Hamons-i9
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB

|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎6/‎10/‎2020
OS build 19044.1415
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.