Brave always asks for becoming the default browser

Description of the issue:

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Start the browser

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

A dialog that has an option to never ask me this question again.

Reproduces how often:

on every start

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Windows 10
Version 1.21.51 Chromium: 88.0.4324.152 (Official Build) beta (64-bit)

Additional Information:

2 Likes

For some reason it stopped asking that.

1 Like

And now it is asking again …

it happens to me everytime I open the browser.

I start to hate Brave. :frowning: it’s supper annoying

@rm2on @pfix,
Do you have Brave already set to be your default browser and still being asked this? Or is it not set to default yet?

2 Likes

Do you really have to ask that? Takes two test cases. Second test case - don’t make Brave your default browser and start Brave. don’t make Brave your default browser and start Brave. don’t make Brave your default browser and start Brave.

I am also having this problem on Brave Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) (64-bit).

It’s quite annoying. I don’t have Brave as my default and I don’t want it as my default.

1 Like

I am getting the same problem on Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) (x86_64) running on Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.1. I do not have Brave as my default browser and have no intention of setting it as such. Please allow us to dismiss this message forever.

1 Like

No, it is not. Most of the time I use Brave as my main browser, but I really don’t care about what my default browser is and I never change that setting.

Is there an option to fix this so it won’t ask on every (EVERY! really i need to click on that dozens of time a day) start up? I find this offensive.

running Version 1.21.73 Chromium: 89.0.4389.72 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Win 10 v. 1909

For anyone here in the thread, we’re already talking about making changes to the prompt, apologies for the inconvenience:

@rm2on if you (or anyone else) are truly getting asked on every launch, would it be possible for you to share a short recording of this behavior, where you launch Brave, see the prompt, close Brave, then launch again to see the prompt? It would be very helpful as that is a bug and you should not be prompted every time.

2 Likes

@Mattches I have changed the shortcut to open Brave in private mode. This prompt is shown every single time. I tried in regular mode and it still prompted me to make it default or “Not Now”. There is no option to tell it to never ask again. Since your last reply, I tried a few more times in regular mode and it stopped asking after a few times. This change is made by design and is not a bug. As suggested in the Github issue, there should be an option to set “don’t ask again”.

2 Likes

That’s not relevant to this bug. I just don’t.

1 Like

Off topic as it is I think your post does not need an answer. Nevertheless I’ll try to address it.

1. Although some people might use Brave as their main browser, it is not their exclusive browser. Do you advise people changing their default browser every time any browser asks them to do it even several time a week or a day?
    (Or whatever the default browser concept is, i don’t care. How does that even improve my internet experience? Or I might have different user preference as other users addressed.)

2. Some other people might be super tired of approving or disapproving cookies on every single site they visit or getting rid of annoying log in pop up windows as they don’t not want to login everywhere. Now… I don’t want to witness my own browser standing in the line of being pain in the ass with other sites or browsers. It feels like “Et Tu, Brave?”

2 Likes

So here is a short recording of said behavior. I hope this helps

Sorry, being a new user, I can’t upload videos.

1 Like

@rm2on,
When sites ask you to approve cookies, it is the site doing that, not the browser.

We have already taken measure to stop Brave from asking about setting your default browser so frequently/all the time:

1 Like

Yes, I am very well aware of this fact. It’s just amazing how much time you need to spend clicking on various things everywhere you go. I was just little sad that my browser also does that.

Thank you very much for your effort to solve the default browser bug. I appreciate that.

Other browsers ask once. Brave asks often enough that I made an account just to come ask them to knock it off.

Issue being addressed: