Default browser on mac

Description of the issue:

I have brave [Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (x86_64)] and chromium [Version 94.0.4583.0 (Developer Build) (x86_64)] both installed on my mac, with default browser pointing to brave under System Preferences > General > Default web browser . Now whenever something auto prompts for a browser, it always opens up the chromium browser… which im guessing that mac is confused with the underlying binary because brave is technically a fork of chromium and just went ahead and opened up the chromium browser…?

Is there a way to untangle this and opens up the correct browser as default?

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Default browser should be respected based on system preferences from mac

Reproduces how often:

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

If you first set

System Preferences > General > Default web browser

to Safari

And then, in a New Window (using Brave Browser) go to:

brave://settings/?search=Make+brave+the+default+browser

and set Brave as the default, does

System Preferences > General > Default web browser

show Brave?

@MrAtheist,
I would also recommend you update the browser fully and then check to see if the behavior has changed. Latest version should be v1.28.105 at the time of writing this.

My guess is, either Brave does not register itself as default browser properly (see @289wk advice and try if it makes a difference choosing that within Brave vs in System Preferences) or there’s some other factor interfering.

Meanwhile I’ll try it here, but my macOS is old (10.11.6) and that can make a difference.
What version is yours by the way?

I think it’s unlikely this has something to do with Brave being a Chromium fork.

edit: can you explain “whenever something auto prompts for a browser, it always opens up the chromium browser” a little better, like, give an example?
I guess you mean when opening a local html file for instance?

Update: no problem here.
I noticed that System Preferences does not reflect the change though, until restarted.
Then Brave shows up. But the change is immediately effective.

In my case im running mac 11.1, and ive updated to v1.28.105 after the incognito problem from the other thread…

• System Preferences > General > Default web browser > Safari is effective immediately, i.e. when i click on any link in slack it auto prompts into a browser (and it correctly opened up safari without me rebooting the laptop)
  • Then I set Brave as default via brave://settings/?search=Make+brave+the+default+browser, System Preferences > General > Default web browser correctly points to “Brave Browser.app”, but then it auto prompts back to chromium… without reboot as well.

So im not sure at which step in the chain of commands is it not obeying the rule…

I suspect the different OS versions could play a part here – I hear macOS 11 changed many things under the hood. I hope someone who can test it there will chime in, because I don’t have a clue.

1 Like

Hmmm this certainly is strange behavior. Can you confirm for me which version of Chromium browser you’re running?

Er, me? None. I have
Firefox 78.13.0esr (64-bit) and
Brave Version 1.28.105 Chromium: 92.0.4515.131 (Official Build) (x86_64) on
OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6 (15G22010) Darwin Kernel Version 15.6.0
and I can’t reproduce the issue here.

(Also the TOR Browser which I rarely use, and the built in Safari of course but I don’t use it since ages, it doesn’t handle whatever was upgraded in https long time ago).

im running Version 94.0.4583.0 (Developer Build) (x86_64) on chromium

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.