Bookmark sync isn't working, "OVER_QUOTA"

Description of the issue:
Bookmark sync is not working across devices. Working between my desktop, two laptops (all MacOS) and iPhone, new bookmarks are not being added to other devices.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Add a bookmark to any of my devices. Also tried to force sync through brave://sync-internals

Reproduces how often:
Issue ongoing for about a week now

Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 1.61.114 Chromium: 120.0.6099.199 (desktop machine)

Type of devices currently running on the Sync chain in question:
iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone – all current

Additional Information:
brave://sync-internals includes the following commit response in the traffic log:
…
“entryresponse”: [
{
“error_message”: “There are already 50000 non-deleted objects in store”,
“response_type”: “OVER_QUOTA”
},
…

I don’t have an inordinate number of bookmarks, maybe a couple hundred, but I’ve been using Brave for a couple of years now and I update bookmarks (add/delete/move) with some frequency. This feels like old bookmarks aren’t being fully deleted.

Hello @HalJor it seems this is related to History sync. Starting from 1.61 version there was a change so all history visits are synced now; before only visits from url bar were synced. We are working on fix.

1 Like

The sync issue was briefly resolved but this error has returned, only bumped to 75000. This is not a fix, and it’s been over a month now.

I’ve been following Sync stops working randomly and cannot be restarted without new sync chain. (Bookmarks no longer syncing, send to device no longer working reliably either.) as it looks related, and it looked like my issue was resolved around the same time, but here we are.

2 Likes

Hey @Alexey

I’m having the same issue and to be honest, this is annoying and I’m considering switching off Brave, it’s 85000 now ? if the sync could storage is limited just let us know with a progress bar or something and give us the UI and the correct UX to manage the storage!

finding out what was wrong was so hard this should be documented by the team already.

{
“error_message”: “There are already 85000 non-deleted objects in store”,
“response_type”: “OVER_QUOTA”
},

@zack_aj07 this is already something being worked on. As you have noticed, they recently increased the limit to 85k. They are trying to find the sweet spot. But right now the big issue is all along with History. We essentially need to turn off History for syncing and we should have no issues.

As had already been admitted, they didn’t think there would be an issue in keeping things going when Chromium had full history come into play. But obviously it’s a lot more data than anticipated.

Sync has been total garbage for last 4 weeks for me. 3 devices (mobile, laptop, desktop) and now all have 3 different sets of bookmarks… How do I merge all 3 and overwrite the remote set? If we had Upload and Download like XMarks used to offer… it would be easy to fix

@methanoid hmm? Last you mentioned, sync was working for you again.

Did issues come back up after you last shared that it was working?

That said, I do know there was a reply from Mattches earlier, with the below:

Yes problems ARE back… and being told they are working on it is fine but a simple search here would indicate they really arent doing a great job on something that XMarks showed was easy to get working reliably AND offer options to upload/download bookmark sets too.

So I bit bullet and exported all sets of bookmarks, merged and deduplicated and now want to know HOW do I check I am under this new 85k limit?