Aw, Snap! error

Description of the issue:
I will constantly get the Aw, Snap! error. It happens randomly on different websites.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Have to wait until it happens.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:
Website will crash even if i’m not viewing the tab (in background)

Reproduces how often:
Many times a day. Happens randomly, sometimes when I am typing other time in the background.

Brave Version(about:brave):
Version 0.58.21 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
Yes

Additional Information:
I have followed the troubleshooting guide, I deleted my cache.

First, see our help page for this issue here and let me know what you find after performing the tests mentioned there:

These are the troubleshooting steps I have already followed.

The issue appears after the new shield update interface that happened in November or December.

@benoit
Apologies, I see now that you mentioned you’ve already followed the guide. My bad!
Just so we’re on the same page though, when you open a Private Window and try to browse, do you still see the same error appear while browsing? If so, is it at the same frequency?

No it’s my fault I never mentioned which troubleshooting guide I have done. Yes the issue is still present in incognito mode. I also tried to turn off the add blocking features and it did not make a difference.

1 Like

I highly doubt this is the case, but would you mind trying to disable Hardware Acceleration?
Settings --> Advanced --> System --> Hardware Acceleration
Let me know if this resolves the issue.

Additional questions:

• Are you running your connection through a VPN by chance?
  • Any Antivirus software installed?

I turned off Hardware Acceleration but unfortunately it still crashes.

I do have both a antivirus and use a VPN. Unfortunately I cannot turn those off, but I have colleagues using the computer and setup as me and they do not have this issue.

Well now I’m really perplexed. Do you have any other browsers installed? Specifically Chrome or Chromium? If so, can you tell me if you’re able to browse normally when using Chrome? This would help us discern if its a Brave problem, Network problem (or brave+network), or hardware issue.

Appreciate your patience while we work through this.

Chrome will crash on my computer but not in the same way. The chrome will completely close and I have to re-open it. This is because of a compatibility issue with one of our corporate software.

However, I have been using Opera which is based on blink as well and it’s been working fine all morning. And Brave used to work with the same software until the last major update I received.

1 Like

Just to confirm, you and your colleagues are all using the same Brave version/release, correct?

yes we are both running the same version.
Mine:

His:

Thank you for your continued help with this issue.

Do you have any extensions installed? If so disabling those extensions fix the issue?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.