Audio gets disabled only in Brave

Description

The issue I am having is that the Brave Browser changes its own audio device as well as disable the audio completely while I am watching a video.

Steps to Reproduce

It will be extremely difficult for me to give any guidance on the steps required to reproduce this, but:

1. Open Brave Browser, and navigate to e.g youtube.com (or primevideo.com, which I’ve also tried)
  2. Play any video (preferably a playlist)
  3. If that first video has audio, allow it to finish and go to the next in the playlist
  4. There is now no audio on that video, or any video from there on

Actual result:

Audio, seemingly randomly, gets disabled in the browser. It is on a per-process basis, as one tab can have working audio while another does not. The audio has also been disabled during video playback or if I pause and unpause the video. And, as I said before, the video has changed audio device during playback. It was coming from my speakers, and all of a sudden it had changed to my headphones, while I was lying in bed watching The Grand Tour.

Expected result:

Audio plays on the default windows sound device, and does not get disabled at all.

Reproduces how often:

Eventually, every time I have opened the browser.

Brave version (brave://version info)

V1.24.86
Windows 10 Pro, build 19042.985

Version/Channel Information:

• Can you reproduce this issue with the current release?
  • Can you reproduce this issue with the beta channel?
  • Can you reproduce this issue with the nightly channel?

Other Additional Information:

I have actually changed my motherboard+cpu during this time and the issue was there before, and is still there after. I also just uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers for the audio as well.

The little sound-icon is present on the tab, just to be clear. There is supposed to be sound.

And finally, I have Spotify open and that does produce sound. Games as well, and have not had issues with sound at all.

• Does the issue resolve itself when disabling Brave Shields?
    No, and a private window does not help
  • Does the issue resolve itself when disabling Brave Rewards?
    No
  • Is the issue reproducible on the latest version of Chrome?
    I do not know

Miscellaneous Information:

Hey Fooughhy,

This issue does pop up from time to time, and after a bit of looking, I found this post:

Can you try restarting your PC and seeing if that fixes it?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.