Are there any Brave 'security' settings that can affect the 'calling feature' of Google Hangouts / Call Phones from GMail?

change it to standard and see if this changes the behavior

@Mattches Switched to ‘standard’ from ‘aggressive.’

No change. Can’t be heard by the party I’m calling.

@mk7z,
It has to do with your specific setup because I can’t reproduce this in any way no matter how hard I try on any OS in any version of Brave. Can you please create a new browser profile (Menu --> Create new profile), go straight to gmail/hangouts (do not install any extensions or visit any other websites – leave everything at it’s default) and attempt to make a call and see if you ge the same results.

@mattches

I created Profile 2.
I exited GMail in Profile 1 (whether necessary or not).
I reloaded GMail in Profile 2.
Shields are at defaults, ads/trackers at ‘standard.’
Placed call.
No change.

Dumb question, have you looked in System Preference to make sure your input device is set to internal mic and that it’s slider is set to get input? If is for some reason move the slider right… if there’s still no audio being heard from your friends in the meeting then you might have to clear your pram… I had to do that recently myself for your exact problem with google meet…

@megaspaz,
Excellent observation – only thing is that he claims that calling with Shields = down solves the issue. If it was a system/equipment issue then it likely wouldn’t work with Shields up or down. @mk7z, can you try this in hangouts.google.com specifically (rather than starting from gmail)?

@mk7z, Can we also see your Shield settings while at http://hangouts.google.com?

@mk7z,
I should have been more clear that you should be trying my previously mentioned test on the new profile. And yes as @Aa-ron asked, for the new profile can you please share how your Shields are configured for hangouts.google.com?

> can you try this in hangouts.google.com specifically (rather than starting from gmail)?

OK, have never yet found any difference when I’ve A-B’d the two apps before re: this issue but I’ll try again.

Also, I swear on the holiest of bibles (you choose which, I’ll swear) that this is occurring just as I’ve reported it – i.e., I’m not just ‘claiming’ it’s happening.

And fwiw, as stated in a previous post, this issue had not occurred for a long time. I routinely try exiting and reloading Brave when its memory usage gets high. If, after reloading Brave, Activity Monitor’s swaps and compressed files aren’t either zero or way down, I restart the Mac.

The issue started occurring after the last time I did that (i.e., exit Brave, reload Brave, restart Mac). Just mentioning that in case it’s somehow informative with respect to troubleshooting.

Thanks.

In Profile 2:

Same result. Not heard.

@mattches @Aa-ron Is it at all conceivable that a recent update to Brave Standard could have affected whatever is causing the issue?

Hello @Aa-ron @Mattches @mk7z

first i do not have mac to test that case

i would like @mk7z to tell them that 2 ads/tracker that your shield block as from my side no tracker blocked

could @Aa-ron @Mattches confirm how many tracker blocked while using https://hangouts.google.com/

and are they the same as the one blocked in @mk7z device

silly but i have silly question for you @mk7z
does it make difference when you the one who start the call or your friend who start it
if it does not work at first does retry would help or you did not try again (i mean while shield up)

and have a nice day everyone

accroding to this post it say his shield blocked one tracker while he in https://community.brave.com/
which i never had any blocked ads/tracker despite i use also aggressive and strict setting

i suspect there something crazy about his shield

could you tell me from your old profile when you access https://community.brave.com/ what is that ads/tracker that blocked

and thanks for your time and have a nice day

@justsomeone1 interesting point – when I look on hangouts.google.com, I don’t see any items blocked:

@mk7z,
Can you also share what your permissions are set to for the site, like so?

> Can you also share what your permissions are set to for the site, like so?

@mattches Sorry but where is that permissions screen?

I don’t see it when I click on ‘Settings’ in Hangouts.

on the address bar on left there lock icon click on it while you are on hangout site

1 Like

could you answer thos question on that comment

and also this one

Hi @justsomeone1, I appreciate your pitching in, but I’m having trouble understanding what I should do. It looks like you wanted information from the Shields display (original profile), but I already posted that earlier in the thread.

Right now it shows “1 item blocked”, if that’s what you meant.

Something else?

Thanks.

> does it make difference when you the one who start the call

@justsomeone1 In all cases, this is me calling another party.

I’ve tested this with numerous numbers and with the Shields settings I was asked to use by @mattches and @Aa-ron.

So far the only thing that works (i.e., the party I’m calling can hear me) is to turn the Shields off.

This is in a Private tab/window, but my understanding is that shouldn’t make any difference.

Hello @mk7z and you welcome
no problem click on the shield as you do then click on the counter next to the ads/tracker

this from youtube