Any intention by Brave to allow opening of pdf files based on File Type specified in Windows?

pdf

Other browsers (like FireFox) allow me to automatically have my default PDF Reader open a PDF file, based on the program specified under File Types in Windows. It would be so much simpler than the way Brave Version 0.60.48 Chromium: 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit) works today.

As Brave works today, I have to download a file to a directory I select, then I have to open it with my PDF program. It’s a pain that pushes me to use FireFox instead!

@WellnessDave,
Brave leverages PDFjs for viewing PDF files and should open them in-browser unless you’ve selected otherwise.
Can you navigate to Settings --> Advanced --> Privacy/Security --> Content Settings --> PDF Documents and ensure that this option is toggled “off”?

Thanks for your quick response. The download option was turned on, so I turned it off. However, when I try to open a pdf it still immediately goes to download, even after rebooting my computer.

Is there something else I should change?

Here’s an update on opening a pdf. I just visited a site that had a pdf for a user guide to a casio watch. When I clicked on it, the pdf guide did open in Brave.

I revisited my bank’s website where I tried to open a pdf bank statement, and instead of opening the file I was taken to a screen to download the file. Here’s the file name: Statement2019%2D02%2D11.PDF . Are the % symbols causing the problem?

Dave Filkins

1 Like

@WellnessDave,
Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for the delay. This looks like an issue we had where pdf files behind authentication walls could not be opened in Brave:

I will ping some team members about this to see why its still behaving this way. In the interim - try to view a pdf file from an authenticated source again but do it with Shields down and see if the PDF loads.

I went to the same banking site and tried to download the pdf with shields down and it still sent me to download. The same thing happened when I used a new Private Window.

1 Like

@WellnessDave,
Thanks for the update. I’ll have to dig into this further and see whats going on. Appreciate your patience.

I, too, am having this same issue - this is the sole thing preventing me from a full switch to Brave, as I preview 10-20 PDF’s daily for work. Our CRM has a built-in PDF preview feature, but I am directed to Adobe Reader DC Download anytime I try to interact with the PDF within Brave. Looking forward to a fix!