Any intention by Brave to allow opening of pdf files based on File Type specified in Windows?

Other browsers (like FireFox) allow me to automatically have my default PDF Reader open a PDF file, based on the program specified under File Types in Windows. It would be so much simpler than the way Brave Version 0.60.48 Chromium: 72.0.3626.121 (Official Build) (64-bit) works today.

As Brave works today, I have to download a file to a directory I select, then I have to open it with my PDF program. It’s a pain that pushes me to use FireFox instead!

2 Likes

@WellnessDave,
Brave leverages PDFjs for viewing PDF files and should open them in-browser unless you’ve selected otherwise.
Can you navigate to Settings --> Advanced --> Privacy/Security --> Content Settings --> PDF Documents and ensure that this option is toggled “off”?

1 Like

Thanks for your quick response. The download option was turned on, so I turned it off. However, when I try to open a pdf it still immediately goes to download, even after rebooting my computer.

Is there something else I should change?

1 Like

Here’s an update on opening a pdf. I just visited a site that had a pdf for a user guide to a casio watch. When I clicked on it, the pdf guide did open in Brave.

I revisited my bank’s website where I tried to open a pdf bank statement, and instead of opening the file I was taken to a screen to download the file. Here’s the file name: Statement2019%2D02%2D11.PDF . Are the % symbols causing the problem?

Dave Filkins

2 Likes

@WellnessDave,
Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for the delay. This looks like an issue we had where pdf files behind authentication walls could not be opened in Brave:

I will ping some team members about this to see why its still behaving this way. In the interim - try to view a pdf file from an authenticated source again but do it with Shields down and see if the PDF loads.

1 Like

I went to the same banking site and tried to download the pdf with shields down and it still sent me to download. The same thing happened when I used a new Private Window.

1 Like

@WellnessDave,
Thanks for the update. I’ll have to dig into this further and see whats going on. Appreciate your patience.

1 Like

I, too, am having this same issue - this is the sole thing preventing me from a full switch to Brave, as I preview 10-20 PDF’s daily for work. Our CRM has a built-in PDF preview feature, but I am directed to Adobe Reader DC Download anytime I try to interact with the PDF within Brave. Looking forward to a fix!

2 Likes

In using Brave I usually find the PDF viewer adequate, though I’d prefer the option to open in an external program.

There is a serious problem. A protect site (banking) fails to show anything and prevents me downloading a “one time” pdf. Details of the exception are “PDF.js v2.0.673 (build: 31012570)
Message: Unexpected server response (500) while retrieving PDF…”

I’ve changed over to the download file setting, but not tested it.

Suggestions:

1. Fix the problem on protected sites.
  2. Enable PDF’s to be viewed in program of choice.
1 Like

Its interesting that you say navigate to Settings–> Advanced. I have no advanced shown in Settings. There is Additional—> Privacy/Security but no Content Settings.

2 Likes

Ok have found the way to PDF files.

I can confirm that this setting is set correctly, but the browser still does not open PDF files, instead a file save location dialogue is instantly displayed. This is currently happening for any pdf files received through web.whatsapp.com.

I would also like to bring up a strong desire/need to have the option to open pdf’s in the default windows application. The lack of this feature is preventing me from using Brave full-time for personal use and from pushing my organization to use adopt it as a better alternative to Chrome or FireFox.
Please Please!

I am using
Version 1.18.70 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Click to download PDF to browser, right click on the download, click on “Always open with system viewer” and it will automatically use the PDF reader you have chosen in Windows settings.

I am using version 1.38.109 on a PC and do not see any of the paths mentioned above. There is no settings/advanced, there is no option to change the way to open a link to a pdf file.

I have lived with the inability to use an external program when using Brave, but it is frequently frustrating.

Is this what you are looking for?

brave://settings/content/pdfDocuments

Yes it is. The ‘content’ menu was not visible in my settings, but typing in the link that you sent worked. This still only offers a download rather than opening in my pdf viewer. Is there a way to do that?

Oooh, I got it now. And that is the only setting I am aware of. This does seem a glaring omission. I normally just open in browser even before I started using Brave, so it didn’t register the option was missing. This is a feature a lot of users would probably want.

I use PDF XChange and can cut and paste either text or snapshots. Within Brave, I can only grab the whole screen and then cut it down in a paint program. I can also drag tabs out and have them in different windows so that I can compare them side-by-side.