Open pdf file from website in brave

NOTE: Any “one-liner” or topics requesting support or reporting bugs that do not make an effort to include as much of this information as possible will not be responded to. Repeatedly posting as such is grounds for banning._
Please try to adhere to this template when reporting bugs. If you think you don’t need to fill out every section in the template fill out as much of it as you can and please be as descriptive as possible when posting.
<---------Delete this line and everything above before posting---------->

Description of the issue:

brave does not give option to open pdf file links in the browser (i.e. a new browser tab), it only gives the option to download it.

this issue has been discussed a number of times in the brave community but it is still not solved (at least not on my PC). I have read several posts on this issue here in the community, tried several suggested solutions, nothing worked so far.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

click on the link to a pdf file in brave

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

1. a new brave browser window opens
  2. a “save as” window pops up asking to name the file and save it

Expected result:

either:

1. upon clicking on the pdf file link, open a window giving the option to either download/save it or open it in a new browser window

2. open the file in a new browser window automatically (in that case, this behaviour should be selectable from browser settings (i.e. whether brave should either download/save or open it)

I expect this to be solved within brave without having to change windows default program to open pdfs! (firefox can do it, why can’t brave do it???)

Reproduces how often:

every time I click on a pdf file link

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Win 7 SP1
Brave Version 1.35.103 Chromium: 98.0.4758.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

disappointing that the brave team did not manage to solve this issue for years now

@GDoe ,

Soon after the Original Post at

. . . there is a list of websites that offer PDF files to test.

I tried the http://www.pdf995.com/samples/ and brave did open the pdfs in a new browser window, all good.
Reading the thread you shared Clicking on PDF links will prompt to save file instead of allowing to open it I conclude that the issue may be with special characters being encoded using % , while I did not test too many, I know that the pdfs I am having this issue with do have such encoding issues (being named with greek font).
Still a shame that brave did not manage to solve this yet.

… too bad that this test site http://pierpont.be/download/i/mark_dl/u/4010359942/4637741192/GdP%20-%20Greenfee%202020.pdf does not have the pdf linked any more so I cannot test it … time has passed.

yes, the brave://settings/content/pdfDocuments is set to open PDFs in browser etc.

the problem is not with the website, in other browsers these pdfs open nicely in the browser or I get the message window that allows me to choose whether to save/download or to open in browser.

1 Like

no, did not. any suggestions?

Hi
Do you have IDM installed?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.