Allowing Brave to open onion sites without using "Private window w/ Tor"

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I’d like to open onion site (hidden services) using main/ordinary Brave browser window, just like Firefox).
  2. What settings do I need to adjust in order to do this? Or is this even possible?

Expected result: Open onion site. Result is blocked by Brave

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

How to Access .onion Sites (Also Known as Tor Hidden Services

article by Chris Hoffman, January 4, 2021

“you can’t access them with a normal web browser”

Maybe I misunderstand this article, but according to Proton you can do this, at least with Firefox. Maybe edge/brave have settings that won’t allow it?

Thanks!

There are extensions for Chromium-based browsers, such as Brave and Microsoft Edge, but it’s highly recommended against using such extensions to access Tor websites outside the Tor browser.

Brave themselves warn users not to use browser’s built-in Tor functionality if their threat model is higher. Depending on what you’re looking forward to doing, it might be the best to use the Tor browser instead.

1 Like