Allowing Brave to open onion sites without using "Private window w/ Tor"

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. I’d like to open onion site (hidden services) using main/ordinary Brave browser window, just like Firefox).
  2. What settings do I need to adjust in order to do this? Or is this even possible?

Expected result: Open onion site. Result is blocked by Brave

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.26.77 Chromium: 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
edit: Editing this as I hope this could be useful for others who had the same issue. Also, my original post was not clear at all as I didn’t even mention that I was trying to do this with ProtonVPN over Tor feature and not the “ordinary” way. Definitely my fault for not even mentioning it. :confused:

My second post is corrected due to finding out the issue.

How to Access .onion Sites (Also Known as Tor Hidden Services

article by Chris Hoffman, January 4, 2021

“you can’t access them with a normal web browser”

According to Proton you can do this, at least with Firefox. Maybe edge/brave have settings that won’t allow it?

I was finally able to do this with my “ordinary” browser (not Tor) using ProtonVPN over Tor. But it’s a nightmare on Windows and could never get it work. But a switch over to the Linux OS for my main desktop (using the same, exact steps) and using the Firefox browser and these settings adjusted network.dns.blockDotOnion set to False and you can access any .onion website / hidden services with your regular browser, without the Tor browser. Pretty convenient for those that do not need a lot of security but want to use a “regular” browser using the Tor network.

No idea if it’s less secure or not, I am not using it for anything that needs government-graded security…it’s definitely doable if on Linux though so if anyone else is experiencing the same issue maybe this edited post could help.

Also, at the moment I still cannot use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to do this but honestly I might need to adjust some settings? So I cannot say for sure those browsers work or not. Braves Private Window with Tor really is enough for me anyways so happy to use that instead.

Anyways, maybe this post could help someone as I spent around 2-3 weeks trying to get that feature to work. :[

Lastly, my OP was very clear so sorry about that! :confused:

There are extensions for Chromium-based browsers, such as Brave and Microsoft Edge, but it’s highly recommended against using such extensions to access Tor websites outside the Tor browser.

Brave themselves warn users not to use browser’s built-in Tor functionality if their threat model is higher. Depending on what you’re looking forward to doing, it might be the best to use the Tor browser instead.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.