After Win10 1809 Update, Brave runs only as Administrator

Microsoft installed Win10 1809 tonight (12/14/18). After the lengthy install and many restarts, I got to the desktop. But Brave in my standard user account will not open. Brave will open if I run my admin account or if I right click and “Run as Administrator.”

But running as administrator, none of my latest bookmarks are there. The Admin version of Brave is really a completely different user – the bookmarks are all early ones and not much good.

This is very disappointing.

Hi, what Brave version are you using, 0.25?

I’m running 0.25.2. I checked for updates, but it says it’s the latest. Again, this can be found only while running as “administrator.”

Hi, this version is no longer supported. Here you can learn how to install the latest version (0.57.18):
https://community.brave.com/t/brave-dark-mode-reacts-to-light-dark-os/35948/6?u=mediabird

PS: It might take some getting used to, but give the new Brave version a chance :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

( After the update, check if the problem still occurs. )

After trying the new version of Brave a week ago, I downgraded back to 0.25.2 (which I’ve posted about here).

Last night I downloaded and installed Windows 10 Build 1809 (64-bit), and also got the latest Dell drivers for my laptop, as well.

Thus far I’ve never had any problems with Brave 0.25.2, not even with the new Windows Build.

First of all, I have to correct myself for the post I just deleted. I confused 2 topics here.

To your post: With the time you will have difficulties with 0.25, because it is not supported. Here a few:
Probably doesn’t work anymore with a certain operating system (-Update).
May contain vulnerabilities that are not fixed - gateway for malware and the like

So I click on About Brave: Check for Updates and Brave replies: “Not yet! Sorry, there are no updates yet. Please check back soon.” So I think I’m running the latest Brave.

But here you tell me there is a completely new Brave that doesn’t tell me it exists.

Wouldn’t you think something somewhere would say, "There’s a new version available that will, you know, work with Windows 10, maybe.

If I install 0.55.22, will all my bookmarks from 0.25.2 show up?

Okay. I installed New Brave 0.57.18 in my Admin Account and imported its bookmarks.

Then I signed off the Admin Acct and opened my normal User Account. There are now two Brave shortcuts on the desktop – one for .25.2 and one for 57.18.

I was able to open the New Brave and import my bookmarks from the old Brave.

Seems to be working fine.

I’m a bit apprehensive to uninstall .25.2 as it might erase my bookmarks.

With the time you will have difficulties with 0.25, because it is not supported.

Am hoping that Brave will release a new version within the next month or so that lets me disable the bookmarks bar and browsing history from showing up in newly-opened tabs.

So I click on About Brave: Check for Updates and Brave replies: “Not yet! Sorry, there are no updates yet. Please check back soon.”

Same here in Version 0.25.2. Maybe in a few weeks if I don’t get an automatic update, I’ll go to Brave.com and try whatever latest version they’ve got. If I’m still not satisfied with the new one, then I’ll just go back to the old one for awhile longer.

Hi, 0.25 does not support the update to the new versions. But if I read correctly, is there a 0.26 version that supports this? This version probably had some problems, too. At the top I linked a short tutorial with which you can download 0.57.18 :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.