After recent Mac update, Brave hasn’t been working normally at all

Hello, I have been having this issue for a couple days now and I’m very worried. So roughly one week before this post, there was a recent software update for my MacBook Pro. Now before that update I noticed that my Brave browser was acting strangely but I believe it was up to date before that occurred, so I assumed that I needed to update my Mac as a similar thing happened before and it was fixed with a simple software update, which got everyone back up and running properly. Well this time something very off happened, (which I should mention my process of update was, plugging it in and leaving it for the night closed, same as normal) I first noticed that in my settings I had a notification that I needed to update my Apple ID settings or something Apple ID related I don’t remember the exact thing, but no matter what I did it would take forever for the password screen to load up and after that it wouldn’t accept my password and would always come up as an error until eventually it said I “used incorrect password too many times”, and when I tried the “forget password” option is would also error. During this several websites I had saved as favorites, several bookmarked ones, and even some that I hadn’t saved either way on Brave just stopped working properly, for example Wikipedia wouldn’t load, the game Stattogories wouldn’t let me play certain categories and even the ones that would load up wouldn’t let me play period, and a manga website I use called Mangareader.to won’t let me log into my account (in fact the account sign in is completely gone). So I had been asking my family members for help since I was completely stumped, until my brother showed me how to restart my Mac (which I had completely forgotten to do, which was my bad) but even though it got rid of that Apple ID thing, Brave still didn’t work and I was stumped, until recently I noticed that when I was in the settings seeing if there was something there I noticed that the version it was on had failed to update, specifically it said Update Failed (Error 11) and “Version 1.64.116 Chromium (Official Build) (arm64) was at the bottom, so I tried researching what to do there and started to notice that even Google Chrome wouldn’t even work as site like Wikipedia didn’t load as well on it. Eventually though I somehow ended up on trying to reinstall Mac Sonoma but that didn’t go anywhere as for some reason it said it would take 59 hours as of this morning, so I canceled that. But when I got back to my previous research I looked at the update error again and it NOW said “update failed (error 12)” so I was even more confused. So began researching this error now and found this page Update failed (error: 12) and after closing what tabs I relaunched Brave and now it says it’s up to date, one is though is that while something like Wikipedia now works and Chrome works also, sites like the last 2 mentioned above and even CoolMathGames and Scribble.Io (which likely didn’t work before either I just never tried it) still didn’t work. So now I’m stumped on what I should do, the best option I’ve got is uninstall then reinstall but I don’t know how to do that without get rid of my bookmarks and stuff accidentally (I did try looking up and found this Reinstall brave without losing information but I didn’t really understand it or the one comment about the sync function in settings), although I don’t have any rewards to my knowledge so that’s not a concern. I should also mention that this is exclusively a problem on my MacBook as I also use Brave as my browser on IPhone and it works perfectly fine (although I wouldn’t be opposed to someone adding what to do incase it happens on there as well). So please to whoever finds this please help me, I don’t want to have to change browsers so whatever I can do, even if it’s as simple as waiting for the next update or even reinstalling I don’t care, I’m desperate to fix this now. (I should also mention that me and dad have been wondering if my MacBook actually also failed to update properly and what to do if that’s the case and I should ask that if that is the case or not, if should I consider figuring out how the Mac’s Time Machine thing works, I hadn’t heard about it before this issue occurred and have been curious of if this were to happen again if that could help as well).

Hello again, I wanted to announce an update on my issues. So as of now it says specifically to be “update failed (error 11)”. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall but that hasn’t worked as well so I’m still stuck. Please someone tell me what to do, even if it just waiting for the next update to Brave, someone just answer me.

(That long post was hard to read, please insert some paragraph breaks where appropriate next time.)

If you have Google Chrome installed, get rid of it.

@Mr.M2345 it’s difficult to go through wall of text. Easier if you can break it up into points. That said, let me hit a few things.

1. You initially reported none of your web browsers connected to the internet. You tested Brave and Chrome, both had issue. Also errors just was that it couldn’t connect to update servers, which coincides with you not having internet. You then commented like it was resolved, as you were able to update and access some websites.

2. You then mention some sites not working, such as CoolMathGames and Scribble. But not sure that you really say you tested on any other browsers, on a new profile, in private window, with Shields off, or anything else. You also did not tell us what is happening when you go to these sites and they don’t load. In other words, too many questions and not enough answers on your issue.

3. Some of the issue might be system related, as you mentioned you failed to know your Apple ID. It seems like the OS was trying to validate you or perhaps you were trying to access things from iCloud but got locked out. If this is an issue, it’s not related to Brave and would be something you need to troubleshoot with your OS and Apple. And yeah, Brave does use your OS credentials to show your passwords and all. If you locked yourself out there, then those things would no longer be available to you in Brave.

4. In speaking about iPhone, it’s because you’re using different OS. If you didn’t get yourself locked out there or have something interfering, things work. Most likely your issue(s) aren’t directly linked to Brave based on what you said. And at worst case, may be due to extensions or settings you changed within the browser if is. There’s a lot of little things that would have to be looked at and tested.

5. In terms of reinstalling, instead of uninstalling and all, I’d just suggest you go to https://brave.com/download/ and download from there. Then it would do a manual update and patch files, so if anything was corrupt it might be fixed. This wouldn’t risk you losing anything and wouldn’t require an uninstall.

6. In terms of OS updates or Time Machine, you’d have to go to Apple for help with that. It’s beyond the scope of my knowledge and not really anything to do with Brave.

Hello there, thanks for your response I was going through your points (and while I admit I definitely should’ve made paragraphs I was just in a rush) I wanted to do some follow ups.

Firstly, as of now both Brave and Chrome still don’t work, and the update error for Brave is specifically (error 11). However, I ended going through Chrome and discovered that it also has an error (error code: 5) and when I click on the options below in both Brave and Chrome is fails to load.

Secondly, I have tested some of those sites that I mentioned on Chrome and they also do not work on it. Now I do not have a separate profile that I can test on, I did not consider trying in a private tab, and they worked prior when I did have shields on. Now for specifically the what happens, on sites like coolmath I get a screen that specifically says “site can’t be reached” and it’s the same for others such as stattogories now.

Thirdly, I tried the link for downloading and it still doesn’t seem to work as it still has it the error: 11 (I should mention I did the same with Chrome and same result as Brave). At this point I may consider finding someone who can maybe look at my Mac and see if the Apple ID thing is the issue.

But besides all that I was wondering if there was a way to contact or even call the Brave developers (or whatever they’re exactly called) themselves and see if they could help. If not then that’s okay I’ll try something else.

If you’re asking about a phone call or live chat, the answer is no. The forum is the official help forum and is used by Brave Support and the developers to try to assist. As for me, I’m an active user who spends time helping, but am not with Brave.

Okay, in your bigger part you made it sound like some sites had. Are you saying no internet for any of them?

And does Safari work well at all? I’m supposing it might as how else are you trying to download or do anything? But try to be careful on assuming and just to make sure I’m gathering the right bits of information here.

This is something you create. On Brave, you would go to the Hamburger Menu imageMore ToolsAdd new profile.

Doing this creates a secondary profile that runs with no extensions and with most of the browser settings to their default. It is a useful troubleshooting step used in conjunction with things like opening in a private window to help determine what might possibly be causing problems.

On chromium based browsers tends to mean you don’t have access to files. So basically they might be in an admin area only and you’re a guest on the computer, therefore you can’t access or change admin areas. When looking at the idea of you not knowing your Apple ID info earlier, it’s possible that it does not see you as the admin right now and you just have to get that resolved.

Error 11 is similar to Error 3 and a few others. It just means it can’t connect to the update servers. This can be because of VPN or proxy, DNS settings, cache, bad modem, etc. There are a lot of little things to test, but mostly it’s something related to the modem, firewall, internet, or OS rather than a browser.

I’ll tag @Mattches (Browser Support from Brave) in just to see if he can help. Just keep in mind it’s nearing end of day today. No idea how long might take to circle around to you, but am sure he’ll help when possible. Hopefully with some thoughts tomorrow or Friday

I haven’t tested Safari yet but it’s what I’ve been using to download Brave so at least that part works for me.

Is it possible to wait for the next update and that could potentially work?