YouTube comments and dialogs won’t load

Description of the issue:
The issue has already been reported here among several others.
YouTube comments won’t load even after clear cache via Lock icon --> Site Settings --> Clear data for youtube.com. In my case, I’m also having simultaneous trouble with displaying a Share and Settings dialogs. It goes away with firing up a Private window, creating a new Profile or deleting All Sites Data. For obvious reasons, this is really inconvenient.

Reproduces how often:
An hour of average browsing on YouTube will start yielding results above.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 1.8.96 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I’m including screencast demonstrating the issue along with a screenshot of the Console.

@DtKe,
Can you tell me if you have any extensions installed in the browser when you see this behavior?

Non whatsoever. All stock. I tried different profiles, reinstalling the browser, even keeping all settings intact. No difference. This has been going on for a couple of months now.

@DtKe,
Would you mind visiting Youtube opening your Shields panel and changing the cookie control setting to Allow all cookies to see if the comments load?

Next time that happens or right away? Currently working fine after clearing all of my sites data.

@DtKe,
Next time it happens. Although it is quite strange that clearing your site data solves the issue but only for a while. It’s almost as if something is getting “backed/clogged up” and causes this conflict. Is it safe to assume that you’re signed into your YT account when this occurs?

Exactly. And private session will similarly get “clogged up” after a while so I have to exit it and open a new one.
No, I don’t have a Google account so not signed into YT.

Hmmmm :thinking: :thinking::thinking::thinking: I’ll have to get back to you on this. Let me reach out to some team members and get another set of eyes on it.

Cool. In the meantime, I’ll try the Allow all cookies trick next time it happens and will report here. Thank you.

Just jumping on here to say that youtube comments have never loaded for me. I’ve tried clearing cookies, clearing site data, allowing all cookies, shields down. all with no extensions installed, extensions disabled, extensions enabled. None of these have had any effect

Just tried one thing that did work: created a new profile and logged in there. Would really prefer not to have to export and import all my bookmarks and reinstall all extensions, especially if this may turn out to be a temporary fix as above

Update: Changing the cookie control setting to Allow all cookies did not help. The last thing to try here is to maybe create a new profile and from the start set it to Allow all cookies from youtube.com to see if the issue repeats itself.

I surveyed Brave Community forum as well as subreddit and GitHub issues to see how often issue repeats itself. Here’s what I found.

Still problem with showing youtube comments
No solution apart from creating a new profile.

Youtube comments are not loaded
No solution apart from creating a new profile.

Youtube comments section freezes after like on mobile
No solution

Youtube Comments Not Working
No solution

YouTube comments (mac) won’t load even after clear cache
Thread was closed for inactivity on the part of the OP. No solution.

Cannot Comment on YouTube
No solution

YouTube comments not loading
No solution. Some hacks like signing into YouTube with a Google account, watching a video, and then signing out seem to have to have worked for somebody. Nothing real.

Brave not loading youtube comments.
No solution apart from hacky log in/log out.

Ad block is blocking youtube comments
No solution. Private window workaround was offered. At least in my case, Private window will also get “clogged up” just like a normal profile.

In my Brave the Youtube comments are not loading
No solution

Brave issue with Youtube
Solution: Google Translate extension causing the issue was accepted as resolution despite evidence that the issue persist in a stock browser with no extensions.

Problems about using Brave’s adblocker on YouTube
Solution: OP was experiencing the issue while also having Cookies blocked completely. Setting cookies to Block 3rd party cookies or Allow All Cookies was accepted as resolution, which it doesn’t seem to be based on several other threads including this one.

Youtube comments not loading
Solution: “Clearing all the cache and cookies” was accepted as resolution here. I can see how only clearing cache and cookies for youtube.com domain would pass for resolution, however the issue seems to require removing all site data.

1 Like

@DtKe,
Was there a particular point or statement that you were trying to make with your last post? I’m not sure what it was, if so.

I’ve reached out to one of our filter engineers – @fanboynz – to take a look and see what may be going on. Thanks again for your patience.

I apologize. This was just to point out that the issue was never resolved. Some workarounds are offered here and there, but are for the most part unsatisfactory for the website of this calibre. I appreciate your help.

1 Like

Can you try in private mode? possibly an issue in the profile (cookies and cache related)

Still no comments in private mode for me.

Can you try a new profile? (also see the YT video link below also)

1 Like

Its not unique to Brave.

Example of the same issue in Chrome. (Applicable to Brave also)

1 Like

Okay then. I personally never experienced anything of this sort in Chrome, but if the issue is reproducible there for other people I guess we can consider the matter closed as it is not Brave related. Thank you and @Mattches for looking into this.

1 Like