YouTube adblocked stopped working today (2024/07/31)

Yes same for me, the advert still has the name of the video.

Thanks, but didn’t work for me either (see my comment below).

Try testing in a clean profile (using Brave beta or Nightly) might be easier.

Now the test fix was added to Brave Experimental Adblock Rules so those who suffer SSAP ads can just go to brave://adblock or brave://settings/shields/filters and enable the list.

Added Experimental Rules as instructed.
First video plays without ads, subsequent videos have ads.
Force refreshing doesn’t help.
Restarting browser doesn’t help.

Its working, but partially sometimes there are ads and sometimes not.

same for me as well, the advert still has the name of the video

partially working… sometimes there are ads and sometimes not.

Just joined the community to add feedback for this; This did work for me too although there’s another issue that came alongside ads not being blocked while logged in. When the video starts (either after the ad ends or right at video start with these custom filters), I can’t see any media controls for about 10 seconds (pause, volume, etc.). Is anyone else having this issue also?

Can confirm the second one worked. Youtube behaves ad-free as before. Thanks for this quick fix!

I’m on MacOS and none of the scripts worked. I’ll continue to watch this space but for now I’ll switch to Firefox to watch yt videos

Do we need to externally add anything or Brave will do fixes on the backend?

The second fix https://pastebin.com/raw/zai4YZFm works for Windows 11, all components updates for my browser. It works significantly better than the first one but am also experiencing slight delay in media controls for the video due to ads popping up for a few frames. Most of the time, html video container turns black and I have to reload the page :frowning:

Just joined the community to reiterate that, on MacOS (Sonoma 14.5), none of the scripts work, unfortunately. I’ve been getting ads since at least the 31st of July.

I want to thank you for your help so far, @fanboynz. I’ll continue to watch this thread to see if there’s an update.

I haven’t experienced any issues on the Brave Browser app for Android, by the way. It’s just on my Macbook.

https://pastebin.com/raw/zai4YZFm worked. i can confirm this also works with ublock origins custom filtering. just copy paste in my filters tab and enable the option
“Allow custom filters requiring trust”

I rolled out a fix into Brave, no need for added rules.

Also if it fails to block YT ads, Enable Experimental Rules, only if you see ads. (it may break, it may not.) They’re testing rules

For me it does not work. I can not see any youtube video anymore. Everythink is black. Only if I disable all trackers in brave I can see youtube videos

1 Like

I am very new to Brave and adblocking. YT was showing ads without the ability to ‘skip’ in Google Chrome, I tried Brave with UBO, worked for a while but then same issue recoccurred whenever I was logged in to YT using Google. I have found using a Brave private Tor window gets around the problem and it works as it should without any of the extra scripts.

1 Like

Yes, ads will shown currently, we’re working around a bug that caused blank screen issues

2 Likes

Well isn’t the Youtube team just busy little beavers these days…
Had black screen this morning,
Disabled the Experimental rules and deleted the custom script
Ads appear
Re-enabled the Experimental rules
Ads still there
Added the script quoted by Human_Man
Back to black screen.

2 Likes