Widevine Content Decryption Module - Cant update

I tested on both. Didnt know you wanted 2 screen shots.

I misread your previous comment, didn’t really need 2 screenshots.

I’m running out of suggestions, we tried:

  • Re-installing Widevine.
  • Fresh user profile (no browsing data & extensions)

Could you check whether websites work as expected in Google Chrome or another Chromium-based browser?

I dont have google chrome. Will download it now.

@Rethanis great support here.
Hard to tell what exactly is happening here. Can you please open the browser with the fresh profile and ensure that it is the only window open at the time? Then visit Netflix or Spotify and test again? What I’m checking here is that any extensions or processes you have running in your original profile window aren’t interfering with the fresh profile and/or widevine.

That said, I’m not super convinced extensions are the true issue here. It would be good to test this in Chrome/another Chromium browser if you can. Additionally, downloading and testing on the Brave Beta build may also be useful (note that downloading/running/installing Brave Beta will not interfere with any other Brave installation you have on your system).

1 Like

Thanks. I hate Widevine :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Both spotify and netflix work in chrome. Currently downloading beta brave for testing.

Although it sounds quite unlikely to me, the only thing we didn’t try was disabling Brave Shields.

Open Spotify or Netflix → click on the Brave Shields icon in the address bar → disable via the big toggle at the top of the window.

Both netflix and spotify work on beta brave.

Turning off the brave shields had no impact on the official release brave browser.

Could you check whether leaving only the fresh user profile window active as @Mattches suggested has any impact?

So did that. It worked. Went back to the original profile and it started working. Deleted the new profile and restarted the browser and now it all works on the original profile.

1 Like

Great, happy the issue is finally resolved :smiley:

I don’t have an explanation for myself how the issue was resolved but the most important thing is it was resolved.

So you simply closed Brave Beta, re-opened the user profiles in the stable release, and it just worked out?

No. It had nothing to do with beta brave. It was opening brave with only the new clean profile. Testing everything out. It worked. Then going back to the original profile and things were working.

Still very interesting the issue was resolved for both user profiles, though. Oh well, happy browsing :smiley:

Thanks for all the suggestions.

1 Like

@Mattches do you think installing Brave Beta might have updated the content of the WidevineCdm folder, which eventually resolved the issue? Before I suggested creating a new user profile, we made Brave re-download the component, which didn’t work out, so I exclude the possibility of a conflict between the user profiles (there was only one user profile at the time).

Anything is possible.

Its possible – I do wish we could have tested the cases isolated from one another. I’ve reported this to the team for information on why this may have happened.

1 Like

I just tested that theory with Brave Beta updating the content of WidevineCdm - didn’t happen on Windows 7. Maybe developers will have a clue what the issue here was, and how it was resolved.

Even I am facing this issue

Please, carefully read and perform the suggestions discussed in this thread. If your issue persists after you have completed all suggestions, please open your own thread in which you provide all details regarding the issue, used OS, Brave version, exact address of websites where the issue is present.