WideVine concerns

I accepted the installation of widevine rather blindly to watch a youtube video, but now, even after uninstalling and reinstalling Brave Browser, the extensions tab on Widevine under Browser Settings says:

“Widevine
Use Widevine digital rights management (DRM) component to view protected streaming video and other content in the browser.”

rather than

“Widevine
Ask when a site wants to install Widevine on your computer.”

How do i uninstall this thing?

@Aylix,
For some reason the actual uninstall portion of the toggle was never implemented (I don’t think). What you can do is delete the WidevineCDM folder locally which should do the trick.

If you’re on Windows, it will be in

c:\\users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User data\Widevinecdm

If on macOS:

~/Library/Application Support/Brave Software/Brave-browser/Widevinecdm

Linux:

~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/WidevineCdm

There is no such Widevine file in my User Data folder. Maybe my reinstall did work in getting rid of it? Why do you think the setting is still worded different from what I understand to be the default?

thank you for how fast your response was…

@Aylix,
Yes, reinstalling likely did. You can also test by going to Netflix or another site requiring the module and if you don’t have it installed already, you should not be able to watch content and, further, you should be prompted to install it when you land on those sites.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.