Remove DRM from Brave

windows

**Description of the issue:**DRM Removal from components

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):
I go to: AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/UserData

Delete the WidevineCdm folder

**Expected result: After I delete the folder as described above, it keeps reappearing when going to that AppData folder and it is never removed from brave://components. The component should be removed after the previous step as I saw a topic about this.

**Reproduces how often: All the time

**Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 0.62.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

1 Like

Just want to say I have the same problem. I created a similar issue since searching didn’t show yours at first.

When the Widevine notification appeared Brave said it was an extension so I thought I could delete it as if it were installed from the Chrome Web Store.

Is Widevine actually a browser extension and if so why doesn’t it show up as one?

I think Brave should show when Widevine is being used and allow it to be uninstalled from within the browser.

0 Likes

We’ve got an open issue to include this option in settings here:

1 Like

Thank you. So is the only way I can really get rid of it is to reinstall Brave then?

1 Like

Unfortunately no, not at this time. Hope to have that implemented soon.

0 Likes

I’m unclear as to what you mean. Are you saying that even if I delete directories:

C:\Users\deoxa\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware
C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware

And run BraveBrowserSetup.exe again Widevine will persist?

0 Likes

@deoxal,
Sorry for the confusion. No – un/reinstalling Brave and associated profile data should remove Widevine component.

1 Like