Remove DRM from Brave

**Description of the issue:**DRM Removal from components

**Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):
I go to: AppData/Local/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/UserData

Delete the WidevineCdm folder

**Expected result: After I delete the folder as described above, it keeps reappearing when going to that AppData folder and it is never removed from brave://components. The component should be removed after the previous step as I saw a topic about this.

**Reproduces how often: All the time

**Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Version 0.62.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I am using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

1 Like

Just want to say I have the same problem. I created a similar issue since searching didn’t show yours at first.

When the Widevine notification appeared Brave said it was an extension so I thought I could delete it as if it were installed from the Chrome Web Store.

Is Widevine actually a browser extension and if so why doesn’t it show up as one?

I think Brave should show when Widevine is being used and allow it to be uninstalled from within the browser.

We’ve got an open issue to include this option in settings here:

1 Like

Thank you. So is the only way I can really get rid of it is to reinstall Brave then?

1 Like

Unfortunately no, not at this time. Hope to have that implemented soon.

I’m unclear as to what you mean. Are you saying that even if I delete directories:

C:\Users\deoxa\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware
C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware

And run BraveBrowserSetup.exe again Widevine will persist?

@deoxal,
Sorry for the confusion. No – un/reinstalling Brave and associated profile data should remove Widevine component.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.