Why is Brave so slow and how can I fix it? JUST downloaded it

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Just downloaded Brave onto my MacBook Pro M1 last night. MacOS is up to date (13.0.1). Brave is up to date. I have about 12 extensions on Brave which I imported over from Google Chrome. I’ve used Google Chrome up until now and decided yesterday to give Brave a try.

2. Brave has been very noticeably slow. Here’s a screen recording as an example where the slowness in menu loading, etc. doubled the amount of time it took for me to complete routine tasks: https://share.getcloudapp.com/llugkNmX

3. With Brave running, I have also noticed overall freezing of Brave and even other programs open, such as Microsoft Excel. I’ve never had more than 10 tabs open in Brave - but honestly, even having 10 tabs open should not slow down a modern browser.

4. I even uninstalled 5 extensions that I did not want to have to uninstall, but that made no difference in the loading speed of Brave.

Would really appreciate help to fix this. Thank you!

Expected result:
Quick, no noticeable lag in any window loading or in-window content loading

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (arm64)

Additional Information:

1 Like

Well, this could be why. Extensions can play a big role on things. It’s not just about the quantity of them either. Sometimes it can be a very specific extension that creates conflicts with a browser. One of the things to kind of test this is for you to open a Guest Window and see if you notice any changes in performance. (This should be something with no extensions running)

Not quite sure what to say on that one. If you turned off Shields on that particular site, can you see any improvement?

Also, maybe toggle Use hardware acceleration when available at brave://settings/system and see if it helps?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.