Description of the issue:

Brave is sending outgoing connections to 239.255.255.250

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Launch Brave
  2. Watch Little Snitch catch Brave connecting to 239.255.255.250

Expected result:

Brave has no business making any connections that I did not tell it to make

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.29.76 Chromium: 93.0.4577.58 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

Someone asked a similar question on this forum in March 2019, but as with many other support questions, it was never answered.

It looks likely that it is indeed the Chromecast (ā€˜Media Routerā€™) support.

There used to be a switch for it in Settings that was easy to find. I wonder if itā€™s been enabled by default due to an upstream Chromium change maybe? Thereā€™s a bunch of options relating to it in brave://flags but itā€™s not clear to me whether any one of them might shut it off completely.

So, I think itā€™s that, but I am not sure how to shut it off anymore and Iā€™m guessing weā€™d need to fiddle with some of those flags to narrow it down.

Maybe an oversight for the switch to go away?

This is indeed related to the Discovery and Launch Protocol, used by the Presentation API and Chromecast. Chromium 93 included a change which unconditionally enabled the feature, meaning our Settings toggle was no longer useful.

Can you confirm that youā€™re seeing this network activity prior to any Cast request?

1 Like

Our team has reproduced the issue, and filed the following (see link below) to track progress and developments towards improvement. Thank you again for reporting this behavior!

2 Likes

Thanks for your help here @sampson!