Why is Brave constantly connecting to local network (10.0.x.x)

Brave is constantly trying to connect to multiple IP addresses in my local network such as 10.0.x.x.

What is the purpose of this?

What would happen if I were to block these connections?

Thank you!

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.9.72 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Is Brave doing this by itself on a random basis.

Is brave your default browser

What version of macOS and on what machine are you running?

What gateway/router do you have?

Do you use Comcast/Xfinity?

What is the IP the connections are made to? 10.0.0.1? That is often your router. What site do you get or does it just hang?

I can’t help you without a ton more info.

Is Brave doing this by itself on a random basis.

What does “random” mean in this context? I can see that Brave makes those connection maybe about every minute.

Is brave your default browser

Yes

What version of macOS and on what machine are you running?

macOS 10.15.4 iMac

What gateway/router do you have?

Airport Extreme

Do you use Comcast/Xfinity?

No

What is the IP the connections are made to? 10.0.0.1? That is often your router.

Varies 10.0.1.x, but not 10.0.0.1 as far as I can remeber.

What site do you get or does it just hang?

Sorry, not sure what you mean? Brave makes these connections as soon as I launch it. I’m just browsing the internet, no specific website.

Thanks!

The 10.x.x.x. is a local device… most likely your router. So it looks like Brave is trying to make contact with your router and failing.

Is your computer connected to the router via ethernet or wi-fi?

First I’d go into Airport Utility and see that all the devices have been given an IP address. It will start with 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x.

I assume your modem will be in bridge mode and the router is assigning the device IPs and do the wi-fi tasks. If not, you might be getting what is called double-NAT which could be confusing Brave. (Some modems are really one-port routers that will do wi-fi. I doubt that is you issue, but you never know.)

Maybe before doing anything you should first shut down the computer. Next I’d pull the plug on the router (there is no on/off switch as I remember.) Then I’d pull the plug on the modem unless there is a switch on it. . Leave off for at least five minutes. Then start up in reverse order… first the modem and wait until it syncs. Then plug in the router and wait for a green light. And then turn on the computer. See if maybe that clears up the problem.

My Mac is connected to the router via Wi-Fi.

Why does Brave need to connect to my router? Other browsers, such as Safari, does not seem to make such connections.

Some of the 10.0.1.x IPs that Brave tried to connect to belong to my other devices, such as my phone and tablet. Is there a reason Brave needs to connect to them? Or is Brave simply going through a list of local IPs?

Thanks!

I don’t know why Brave is contacting any device. How do you know this is happening. Do you get an error message or something that tells you it is trying to hit a device?

Maybe when you bring up Brave, whatever homepage you have set is broken. Maybe try setting the home page to google.com.

The console log (system log) might give you a clue as to what is happening when Brave crashes.

Does it happen when you boot into Safe mode?

Have you tried any of the stuff I wrote in my previous post?

I don’t know why Brave is contacting any device. How do you know this is happening. Do you get an error message or something that tells you it is trying to hit a device?

I see it in the Little Snitch Network Monitor.

Maybe when you bring up Brave, whatever homepage you have set is broken. Maybe try setting the home page to google.com.

This is not related to what websites I am visiting.

The console log (system log) might give you a clue as to what is happening when Brave crashes.

It’s not crashing. I just want to know why Brave is making all these connections.

Does it happen when you boot into Safe mode?

Have you tried any of the stuff I wrote in my previous post?

Not yet, because I’m working on a lot of stuff at the moment and don’t want to shut down my Mac yet.

Thanks!

Turn off Little Snitch. See if that fixes it. Snitch is known to cause all sorts of anomalies with browsers and email. Worth a try.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.