Why is Brave browser "capturing my screen"?

I am currently using,
Brave - Version 1.58.135 Chromium: 117.0.5938.140 (Official Build) (arm64)
Mac OS - Version 14.0 (23A344)

And got an alert on my Mac, saying “Brave is capturing your screen”. Screenshot attached, why is Brave doing that? I didnt start sharing my screen or recording it.
Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 9.13.58 PM

1 Like

You saying you weren’t casting your screen or anything? What were you doing?

When switching the Brave browser from full screen to normal screen, the warning “brave browser is taking a picture of your screen” appears in the menu above.video link

@Mattches @steeven I’m not even going to start making guesses on this one, especially since it’s on Mac. You have any ideas what might be occurring?

@canakburu Only thing I know I’m wondering, and perhaps Support will dive into more is if you have an extension causing it. I do see you have extensions installed, but I don’t know which ones and what they do.

This is a known Chromium/Apple issue:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1457180

Note that Brave is not actually capturing your screen.

all my installed extensions are attached, I have been using it in full screen for a long time, yesterday by chance I minimized the screen and this happened, has this happened to anyone else?
screenshots of the plugins are attached.

yes<and me today ? why that

Same problem im also facing the last update of the brave is not good some times im not able click on the links in the webpages.

@nikhilkc @Othman @canakburu I’d suggest you also read through comments over at https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/179yqoc/i_never_gave_screen_recordingcamera_and_mic/

People are saying this is also happening on Vivaldi and Safari. I did just bump @rebron2000 and @Mattches over on the Github and now here. But it would be nice if can figure out where it is on the priority list and if it is indeed waiting for Chromium, Apple, or where the “fix” is going to have to come. Then to make sure we’re tracking the appropriate issue for it, whether on Github, Chromium, or wherever.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. Looks like it may have been caused by Sonoma (mentioned in the reddit thread)?

Fwiw, not having the browser in full screen seems to resolve any isses

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.