Seeing "Brave browser is sharing your screen" message in Mac menu bar

Yesterday I sttarted seeing a “Brave browser is sharing your screen” notification in Mac menu bar, even when Brave isn’t running.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Start Brave
  2. An icon appears in the menu bar (see attached screen grab). When i hover over it, a message pops up saying “brave browser is sharing your screen”
  3. Quit Brave
  4. The icon remains in the menu bar

Expected behavior: No icon or creepy message, especially after I quit Brave

Brave Version( check About Brave): v1.52.126

You casting anything to something like Chromecast or whatever? I mean, I see the button there on the top of what you’re sharing which is showing it’s being cast. If you click that, you should be able to tell it to stop casting/mirroring.

Not casting and there is no option to stop, the screen grab is all I see

I am also getting exactly same notification from brave. I restarted my mac twice and also restarted brave. But still getting same notification. Let me know if u get any solution. My brave version is
Version 1.52.126 Chromium: 114.0.5735.133 (Official Build) (arm64)
@Saoiray

I am experiencing the exact same issue. I tried uninstalling brave, the icon is gone but the same gray boarder that appears when you are sharing a screen appears when you click off an application. I recently installed software that enables you to run steam, this issue arose immediately after install.

@Mattches @fanboynz would either of you have any clue on what’s going on here?

Same thing happening here. I went into my computer (Mac) settings in security and privacy and turned off Brave’s access to screen recording, it also had access to my microphone and camera, and I don’t recall ever giving it access to any of these. Super sketched out by this, I’m uninstalling

I’ll tag @steeven here as well as I see Mattches put that he’s sick. Main idea though is might be a little bit before anyone can get back to you all.

Same here, this started to appear when i updated my mac to OS Sonoma.

Sorry for the late reply — lots of different responses here.

Can anyone here please confirm the exact version of Brave they’re using as well as the exact version of macOS they’re on?

I’m on my macOS machine right now using the latest Brave version and am not seeing any such notification.

Yes, I am having this issue and can confirm for you my Brave Browser version is: v1.52.129

I am running Mac OS Sonoma Developer Beta 2 (Build #23A5276g) on an intel Mac.

I did try revoking Brave’s access to Microphone, Camera, and Screen Recording in System Settings, but that had no effect, still seeing this message in the Menu Bar.
Screenshot 2023-07-03 at 1.28.50 PM

Just an FYI, this seems to be a Chromium thing and also may be because you’re using the Beta build. For example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/14gioss/anyone_else_seeing_this_using_chrome_google/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/14h1j69/sonoma_screen_sharing_what_is_that/

I’ll look more into it later, but a visitor just came so I’ll stop my searching with that.

Note that this does seem to be a Chromium issue and is specific to macOS Sonoma. Worth noting that your screen is not actually being shared here and I’m assuming the Chromium team will have this issue resolved sooner rather than later.

Version 1.52.129 Chromium: 114.0.5735.198 (Official Build) (arm64)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.