When in a Sync chain, Brave is crashing regularly ever since 1.3.113

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Be in a Sync Chain
  2. Use the browser for maybe a minute or two
  3. See if you crash
  4. If you don’t, try moving a bookmark in the bookmarks around.
  5. For me, I moved a bookmark in a folder up a few levels then moved another one around. I crashed shortly after that.

Expected result:
While in a Sync chain the browser does not crash. I left the Sync chain and I have been fine. I crashed a couple of times while typing this before leaving the Sync Chain. All seems to be good now that I had left it.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
[Version 1.3.113 Chromium: 80.0.3987.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)](https://brave.com/latest/)

Additional Information:

3 Likes

Same here.

Unbelievable that they’ve managed to do this at least twice now with an update that includes changes to Sync.

So far just disabling “Bookmarks” in the Sync settings is enough to prevent the crashes, but these issues with Sync are getting tiresome. It’s one step forward ten steps back every time work is done on it.

1 Like

Thanks you all for writing in. We are currently investigating. @Taomyn - what OS are you on? You’re able to disable Bookmarks sync before it crashes on you?

Thanks in advance for any info!

1 Like

Removing yourself from the sync chain does indeed stop the crashing. (Syncing never worked anyways) However as soon as you try to start a new sync chain it crashes immediately.

Syncing really needs to be top priority. It’s never worked as far as I can tell…

Latest Windows 10

2 Likes

I have exactly the same symptoms !

Windows 10 Pro 1909.

Windows 10. Yes as it took quite a few minutes before it crashed, I could get into settings quite easily.

Hey @Taomyn, @X-Dan, @omniphil @JMOnlineiOS

Here’s a quick fix we rolled out. Would greatly appreciate if ya’ll could install the new 1.3.114 build from the below links (based on your OS) and confirm that the issue is fixed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I noticed another related issue, I am not getting favicons on my bookmarks when in a sync chain. I was crashing every 2 minutes until I removed this machine from the sync chain. Now Brave is stable and I am getting favicons on my bookmarks.

I used this fix to try to resolve the issue described i this thread, now Brave crashes immediately
Win10 Pro

1 Like

I uninstalled it and then installed this version from scratch. It now appears to be functioning properly, although I have turned off ‘sync’. I don’t like the way sync wipes out my favicons

@bbear999 Thank you so much for testing! If you could try turning on Sync and confirm that it works that’d be super helpful.

Sync appears to be functioning properly and my favicons are no longer disappearing

ty

1 Like

Awesome!

If you could do us an even bigger favor – open up brave://crashes: and send a few reports our way (if you could copy/paste the crash IDs here that would be super useful as well).
Going to send you some swag for your trouble. :slight_smile:

Anyone else having issues with the 1.3.114 build, please do the same as it’ll help us get things fixed faster.

Uploaded 13 crash reports that were captured between 3:43 PM PST and 4:39 PM PST February 7, 2020

I installed what you linked in a VM and it seems to be fine. I synced up using my code and it appears to be fine.

For my laptop I Uninstalled and Deleted “Brave-Browser” in AppData just to make sure all files were gone. I installed what you linked after I finished deleting and removing the files. I setup my Sync code and installed my extensions back.

Not sure if this will make a whole lot of sense but I will try.
I adjusted bookmarks in my VM. Which then it attempted to carry over to my laptop. Some bookmarks got missed so I imported my recently exported bookmarks via an HTML file and got everything where it was before. But I did end up crashing along the way.

Report ID: 4ca60fcf14081225
Crash report captured on Friday, February 7, 2020 at 5:45:03 PM, uploaded on Friday, February 7, 2020 at 5:56:46 PM.

Edit 1. Got another crash. Some of my folders for bookmarks got shuffled around and one disappeared. So I imported the most recent HTML backup of my bookmarks and re-organized them. Shortly after, maybe 1-2 min, I crashed.

Report ID: d4f010759ab00612
Crash report captured on Friday, February 7, 2020 at 8:52:22 PM, uploaded on Friday, February 7, 2020 at 8:53:25 PM

Edited my post to include another crash that I believe was caused by Bookmarks re-syncing, or attempting to re-sync.

Also having the same issue, here are some of the crash IDs from me:

Crash Report ID b1fb4ec538263e75
Crash Report ID 58159feb72f9d98d
Crash Report ID 854aa17e37f602a6
Crash Report ID a4d526a027109fc9
Crash Report ID 873913e13cd8ee0e
Crash Report ID c91fe5b88e5b24b8
Crash Report ID cbb890af447d1f34
Crash Report ID f356dd264e24bd81

I updated to the new build, re-enabled Bookmarks under Sync and have not had Brave crash so far for several hours.

Sorry, I take it back, it then crashed again just now. Have disabled the sync again.

After installing whatever was at that link I could join again a chain without crash. I had crashes anyway deleting items from the bookmarks bar